Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg claims his office’s investigation into Donald Trump is continuing — even after the two prosecutors who ran it called it quits.
“As we have previously said, the investigation continues,” Bragg said in a prepared statement Thursday.
The investigations into the former president, the Trump Organization and their leadership began in 2018 under then-prosecutor Cyrus Vance.
Vance accused Trump Org. CFO Allen Weisselberg of tax fraud in June. He has pleaded not guilty.
In February, the two prosecutors leading the case, Mark Pomerantz and Carey Dunne, resigned – which a source at the time said was an indication of frustration with the direction of the case. It reportedly came after Bragg indicated to attorneys that he had doubts about going ahead.
But on Thursday, prosecutors said the team of “dedicated, experienced professional prosecutors” working on the investigation were still “grading documents, interviewing witnesses and examining evidence not previously examined.”
Bragg said the investigation will now be led by Investigations Director Susan Hoffinger.
The prosecutor said he could not reveal more about the investigation or grand jury matters, but at the conclusion of the investigation he will announce whether his office is dropping the case or indicting.
New York Attorney General Letitia James is also conducting an investigation into the Trump Organization’s business dealings and currently has a pending lawsuit alleging the company and family are blocking their investigation.
Trump’s attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
https://nypost.com/2022/04/07/trump-probe-ongoing-after-prosecutors-quit-alvin-bragg-says/ Trump probe ongoing after prosecutors resign, says Alvin Bragg