Former Donald Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro was convicted of contempt of Congress on Thursday for refusing to comply with a subpoena from the House Select Committee related to its investigation of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. He called the situation “crazy” and told reporters outside the courthouse that he was “willing to go to prison to resolve this matter,” reports said CNN.
“We knew what the verdict would be,” Navarro said, noting the commitment to appeal based on executive privilege issues. He will join another former Trump adviser, Steve Bannon, in this endeavor. Last year, Bannon was also convicted of contempt on two counts.
Asked by CNN reporters whether Trump is providing support through all of this or offering to pay his legal fees, Navarro said: “President Trump has been a rock in terms of support. We talk when we need to talk. He will win the presidential election in 2024, in November. Do you know why? Because people are tired of Joe Biden weaponizing courts like this and the Justice Department.”
Tim Mulvey, former spokesman for the Jan. 6 committee, sees this second subpoena to evade judgment as a victory, saying: “[Navarro’s] The resistance to the committee was bold. Like the other witnesses who tried to block the committee, he believed he was above the law. It’s not him. This is good for the rule of law. I can imagine that the defendants are getting a good reminder of that right now.”