CRUFTS, the world’s largest dog show, returns TODAY with a 4-day celebration of paw fun as canine fans indulge in all things canine.
Crufts has been running since 1891 and has quickly become an annual highlight for dog lovers.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, Crufts was canceled last year – but many fans of the event are anticipating 2022’s biggest show yet.
The celebration of all dogs takes place over four days, with the Best in Show event, won by Wirehair daschand Maisie last year, taking place as usual on Sunday evening.
Crufts is shown live on Channel 4 and More4, with TV coverage starting at 3pm on C4 in the afternoon.
Read our Crufts 2022 live blog below for the latest updates and information…
Does Crufts allow mixed races?
Crufts is a pedigree dog competition.
However, crossbreed and mixed breed dogs can compete in the Scrufts section of the show.
This part of the competition was introduced in 2013.
Sunday is Gundog & Best In Show day – full program
- 8:45 a.m. Agility Championship Medium/Large
- 9.50 am Good Citizen Dog Scheme Exhibition
- 10:10 am: Search and rescue in the lowlands
- 10:40 a.m.: Heelwork to music
- 10:45 a.m.: Display of dog activities
- 11:15 am: Southern Golden Retriever show team
- 12 p.m.: Medium/Large Agility Championship
- 1:05 p.m.: Hunting dog presentation
- 1:25 p.m.: Flyball team finals
- 3 p.m.: Entry for ticket holders
- 4:15-9pm: Augusta Hebbert, Soprano – Agility Championship Intermediate/Grand Finals – The Kennel Club Hero Dog – Guide Dogs Demonstration – Young Kennel Club Operational Finals and Presentation – Game Warden Competition Finals – Group Judging (hound) and Presentation – HM the Queen’s Hounds – Police Dog Team Operational and Humanitarian Action of the Year Award – Best in Show and Presentation
Full program for Saturday
Saturday March 12 – Utility and Toys
- 8.45 a.m .: Crufts International invites you to the big jump
- 9:30 a.m.: Scruffs semifinals
- 10:30 am: Hearing Dogs 40th Anniversary
- 10:50 am: Search and rescue in the lowlands
- 11:20 am: Southern Golden Retriever show team
- 11:40 a.m.: Demonstration of medical detection dogs
- 12:30 p.m.: Heelwork to Music International Freestyle Competition
- 1.55pm: West Midlands Police Demonstration
- 2.25 p.m.: Agility international invitation big (agility)
- 3:10 p.m.: Young Kennel Club Agility Dog of the Year Final
- 3:55 p.m.: Flyball Team Semifinals (includes Young Kennel Club Flyball)
- 5.15 p.m.: International agility invitation to the big agility final
- 6 p.m.: Heelwork to Music Freestyle international winners
- 6:05 p.m.: Scruffs finals
- 6.20pm: Obedience Champion (dog) and reserve (dog) demonstration
- 6:45 p.m.: Group evaluation (utility) and presentation
- 7.35 pm: Group evaluation (toys) and presentation
Full program for Friday
Friday March 11 – Terrier and Hound
- 9:00 a.m.: Agility Crufts Medium ABC and Intermediate/Large Novice ABC Final (jumping)
- 9:40 a.m.: Agility Crufts Individual Small/Medium/Intermediate/Large (Jumping)
- 10.35 am Good Citizen Dog Scheme Exhibition
- 11:05 a.m. Heelwork-to-Music Contest
- 1:05 p.m.: Rescue dog agility
- 1:35 p.m.: Agility Crufts Singles Heat Small/Medium/Intermediate/Large (Agility)
- 2:30 p.m.: Agility Crufts Medium ABC and Intermediate/Large Novice ABC Finals (Agility)
- 3:10 p.m.: Quarterfinals of the flyball team
- 3:50 p.m.: Endangered Breeds Competition
- 4:20 p.m.: Heelwork-to-Music Contest Winners
- 4:45 p.m.: Agility Crufts Individual Finals Small/Medium/Intermediate/Large (Agility)
- 5.30 p.m.: Final of the breeders’ competition
- 6:10pm: Group Judging (Terrier) and Presentation, plus presentation of the painting for the Crufts 2020 Best in Show winner
- 7pm: Group Judging (Hound) and Presentation
Today’s Crufts schedule in FULL
Thursday, March 10 – Works and Pastoral:
- 8.45am: Agility Kennel Club British Open Final (Jumping)
- 9:40 a.m.: Small/medium agility championship
- 10.45am East Anglian Staffordshire Bull Terrier Show Team
- 11:15 am Freestyle Heelwork to Music Contest
- 1.10pm: Agility Kennel Club British Open Final (Agility)
- 2:05 p.m.: Small/medium agility championships
- 3:15 p.m.: Quarterfinals of the flyball team
- 3.55pm: West Midlands Police Demonstration
- 4:25 p.m.: Freestyle heelwork to the winner of the music competition
- 5:15 p.m.: Final of the small/medium agility championship
- 6 pm: Group evaluation (work) and presentation
- 6:50 p.m.: Group assessment (pastoral) and presentation
List of Categories
There’s also action in the Young Kennel Club ring, obedience competitions, individual breed judging, dog activities and the Good Citizen Dog Training Scheme.
What categories are there at Crufts 2022?
More than 20,000 dogs will take part in exhibitions and competitions.
The bags are divided into seven groups.
Each winner from each group gets to compete for the ultimate prize, Best In Show.
Crufts results will be announced on March 13, 2022.
We will then find out who took the Best in Show trophy from the 2020 winner, the wire-haired dachshund Maisie.
This award has been in existence for 83 years – and 2020 marked the first time a dog pooped at Best in Show live on television in the main arena.
Crufts: How to take your pooch to the world’s largest dog show
Submissions for this year are closed but will be opened shortly for next year’s competition.
There are certain criteria that your dog must meet in order to compete in the legendary Crufts.
The most important thing is that your dog is registered with the Kennel Club – this is a record of your puppy’s birth.
Owners receive a registration certificate with a microchip number and DNA tests for the dog.
If you want to take it a step further, you can obtain a pedigree certificate that includes full details of the breed, a pedigree name, and five generations of your dog’s ancestors.
If your dog is not Kennel Club registered you can enter with an Competition Number (ATC), but you must apply for one by December before Crufts starts.
How many people – and DOGS – visit the Crufts?
The Birmingham NEC regularly sees over 160,000 people attend Crufts with a slight drop in 2020 at 155,000 attendees.
In 2020, around 20,000 dogs took part in the competition.
A Brief History of Crufts
Crufts is named after its founder, Charles Crufts, who toured other British dog shows selling biscuits in the late 19th century.
In 1891 the first Cruft’s Greatest Dog Show was held in Islington, London.
Due to the Covid pandemic, the 2021 show was canceled for the first time since 1954.
Can you get tickets for Best in Show?
A ticket to Sunday’s famous Best in Show competition could set you back £55.
There are a variety of stalls and many demonstrations, as well as skill tests and other competitions.
Crufts 2022: How to snag tickets
This year’s Crufts competition will be broadcast by the Birmingham NEC, but you can also attend the event in person.
The dog show runs from Thursday 10th March to Sunday 13th March.
Tickets are available from the Crufts website and cost between £12 and £165.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/17903399/crufts-2022-tv-tickets-schedule-when-where-time/ The world’s largest dog show starts TODAY, plus tickets, schedule and how to watch