LAUSANNE – The International Olympic Committee said it held a second video call with Peng Shuai but again did not release any videos or recordings nor made any connection to the alleged assault. tennis player’s sex against a former Chinese government official.
The Grand Slam mixed doubles champion and three-time track athlete has abandoned public view after making her accusations, making the women’s professional tennis tournament suspend its leagues in China.
As Beijing completes preparations to host the Winter Olympics starting on February 4, the IOC revealed on Thursday that it held a second video call with Peng following the recent statement of IOC President Thomas Bach that he spoke to her on a 30-minute video call and that she seemed to be “well done.”
“This was reconfirmed during yesterday’s call,” the IOC said on Thursday. “Our people and people-centered approach means that we continue to care about her personal situation and will continue to support her.”
Again, the IOC has not released a video or transcript of the exchange, nor has it explained how call has been arranged.
The IOC repeated its policy of “silent diplomacy” of dealing directly with sports officials”, which, under the circumstances and based on the experience of governments and other organisations, has been shown to be the most promising way to conduct effectively in such humanitarian matters.”
The IOC said it would “keep in regular contact with her and have agreed to a personal meeting in January,” shortly before the exciting Olympics in Beijing begin.
Mr. Peng, 35, fell out of public attention after making accusations about former deputy prime minister Zhang Gaoli in a social media post on November 2 and was quickly removed by Chinese authorities. down.
Peng is a former No. 1 doubles player and title holder at Wimbledon and the French Open.
The International Tennis Federation, the sport’s governing body, said on Thursday that Peng’s allegations “must be addressed.”
“Our primary concern remains the health of Peng Shuai,” the ITF said in a statement. “We will continue to support all efforts that are being made to achieve that goal, both publicly and behind the scenes.”
Andrea Gaudenzi, president of men’s professional tennis, said the situation raised “serious concerns inside and outside our sport” and the response “so far has been lacking”.
“We are again calling for an open line of direct communication between the player and the WTA to establish a clearer picture of her situation,” Gaudenzi said. “We know that sport can have a positive effect on society and generally believe that a global presence gives us the best opportunity to create opportunity and make an impact.
Doriane Lau, Amnesty International’s China researcher, said the Chinese government “has a record of remaining silent on women who make allegations of sexual violence” and called on the international community to “urges the Chinese government to investigate all allegations of sexual violence in a timely and effective manner. ”
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. Copyright Registered. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
https://www.ksat.com/sports/2021/12/02/ioc-says-it-had-2nd-video-call-with-tennis-player-peng-shuai/ The IOC says it had a second video call with tennis player Peng Shuai