Texas Teacher Shortage: University of Houston hosts school districts and union of educators to keep workforce

HOUSTON, TX (KTRK) — Educators, politicians and others met Tuesday at the University of Houston to discuss how to prevent Texas teachers from leaving the classroom. They said it could be a blueprint for tackling this problem nationwide.

According to the American Federation of Teachers, 43,000 Texas educators left the field in 2021, and as of Tuesday, ways should be sought immediately to stop that number from growing.

RELATED: How schools are trying to address the statewide teacher shortage

“Our members want to solve this crisis,” said AFT President Randi Weingarten at a press conference after the retreat.

The Houston Independent School District, which attended the meetings, discussed the 11 percent raise it was giving teachers for 2022, but acknowledged more needs to be done to keep educators in the classroom.

“(Tuesday) was a really good opportunity for us to come together and explore ways to recruit and retain great educators and support staff from all of our schools,” said Jeremy Grant-Skinner, HISD’s Chief Talent Officer.

HISD told ABC13 it was 95% filled Tuesday and was working to fill the remaining 5%.

SEE ALSO: It’s Not Just COVID-19: Why Texas Faces a Teacher Shortage

Fort Bend ISD said it had 279 teaching positions open, and Katy ISD said it had 200.

Conversely, both Klein and Channelview ISDs told ABC13 that they are close to 100% booked.

As for districts across the country struggling to retain staff, Weingarten said in June that educators are leaving because they “have struggled with a lack of professional respect for years.”

The solutions discussed included six main ideas. They want to expand pipelines to increase access and entry into the profession, make certification more accessible, reduce class sizes, offer more comprehensive services to schools, increase salaries for teachers and administrators, and demand respect from elected officials .

These solutions also include psychological health counseling, reimbursement plans for teachers who spend their own money on materials, and programs to help employees become teachers.

But no matter what comes out of the discussions, the conclusion is that all solutions must be collaborative.

“We have to work together,” said Zeph Capo, President of AFT Texas. “Districts, employees, legislators, parents and community.”

WATCH: Teachers and officials gather to discuss ‘immediate’ fixes to Texas classroom bottlenecks

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All rights reserved.

https://abc13.com/texas-teacher-shortage-american-federation-of-teachers-houston-independent-school-district-schools/12181188/ Texas Teacher Shortage: University of Houston hosts school districts and union of educators to keep workforce

Dais Johnston

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button