A 14-year-old from Massachusetts died on Friday, hours after taking part in what has been dubbed the “One Chip Challenge” – a viral social media trend that the teen’s family believes reportedly contributed to his sudden death .
Harris Wolobah, a sophomore at Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester, ate an overly spicy Paqui chip at school and quickly got a stomach ache, his mother Lois said said NBC 10 Boston.
Wolobah was picked up by his family and taken home where he was feeling better, but he was later found passed out just as he was about to leave for basketball tryout, his mother reportedly said.
The young teenager was taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.
A cause of death could not be confirmed, the results of the autopsy are still pending.
Wolobah’s mother, Lois, told NBC 10 Boston that she believes her son died as a result of the spicy snack.
The manufacturer of the chip warns on its website that eating the chip could have negative medical effects.
Part of the challenge tests how long a person who ate the chip lasts before eating or drinking something else for relief.
The Paqui brand states on its website that the chip should only be eaten by adults. It is also recommended that you seek medical attention if you have trouble breathing, fainting, or persistent nausea.
“After touching the chip, wash your hands with soap and avoid touching your eyes or other sensitive areas,” the brand says.
According to the website, this year’s chip contains Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper.
Worcester Public School principal said the school community had “lost a rising star in Wolobah”.
“As a mother and governor, I can’t imagine how hard this is for his family, friends and teachers,” said Worcester Schools Superintendent Rachel Monarrez. Boston 25 reported.
“My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him.”
His St. Bernard’s Church team basketball coach, Douglas Hill, called him a hard worker dedicated to his craft. according to WCVB.
“I feel for the family,” Hill said. “I feel for him, and this is just one of those situations where it’s not his fault.”
dr Lauren Rice, director of pediatric emergency medicine at Tufts Medical Center, told the outlet that when someone eats spicy food, the consequences can range from a burning mouth or lip to heart problems.
“Sometimes we see people with severe chest pain or palpitations,” Rice said.