A star of hit South Korean death contest drama Squid Game will stand trial for indecent assault after being accused of inappropriately touching a woman in 2017, a court in the country said on Thursday.
O Yeong-su, 78, was indicted on the charges last week, district court officials in the city of Seongnam confirmed.
Details of O’s case were not released, but the woman originally filed a complaint against him in December 2021, saying he made unwanted physical contact during a meeting in 2017.
Police closed the case in April but were reinstated after the woman requested further investigation.
O denied the allegations when questioned by authorities and later released a statement to South Korean news channel JTBC with his version of events.
“I was just holding her hand to show the way around the lake,” O said. “I apologized because [the person] said she wouldn’t make a fuss about it, but that doesn’t mean I admit the allegations.”
O became the first South Korean actor to win a Golden Globe in January for his portrayal of Oh II-nam, a mysterious elderly “Squid Game” contestant who joined the competition after being diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
“Squid Game,” a hit Netflix drama about a group of desperate adults fighting a deadly children’s game for a chance to escape their debts, has been renewed for its second season.
https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/squid-game-actor-indicted-over-indecent-assault-charges/ ‘Squid Game’ actor O Yeong-su charged with indecent assault