Entertainment

Russian soprano Anna Netrebko at the Met Opera for her support of Putin

The Russian soprano Anna Netrebko is no longer employed by the Metropolitan Opera after her support for Vladimir Putin resurfaced amidst Russia devastating invasion of Ukraine.

Netrebko, 50, is one of them the top-selling superstars of opera and her departure is a devastating blow to Manhattan’s cultural establishment.

“It’s a great artistic loss for the Met and the Opera,” said Met Director General Peter Gelb announced in a statement on Thursday. “Anna is one of the greatest singers in Met history, but with Putin killing innocent victims in Ukraine, there was no way forward.”

Gelb said last Sunday that the Met would no longer associate with artists who support Putin. The Met had tried before persuade Netrebko to waive their support for the Russian President, but their efforts were in vain.

Netrebko was scheduled to appear in Giacomo Puccini’s Turandot that spring and Giuseppe Verdi’s Don Carlo the next season. Ukrainian soprano Liudmyla Monastyrska is on deck to replace her in both productions.

“Turandot” will have five performances from April 30th to May 14th, and for “Don Carlo” five performances will begin on November 3rd and end on November 19th.

FILE - Russian President Vladimir Putin, left, congratulates Russian opera singer Anna Netrebko after presenting her with the People's Artist of Russia award February 27, 2008 during celebrations of the 225th anniversary of the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg, Russia has awarded.  Netrekbo withdrew from her future engagement with the Metropolitan Opera rather than declining her endorsement of Russian President Vladimir Putin, costing the company one of its best singers and the best box-office hits.  (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky, File)
Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulates opera singer Anna Netrebko after awarding her the People’s Artist of Russia award in 2008.
Dmitry Lovetsky

In 2008 Netrebko received the People’s Artist of Russia award from Putin. She was later pictured with a Neo-Russian flag in 2014 after making a donation of 1 million rubles (about $28,000 at the time) to the Donetsk Opera Tube. The area is a Ukrainian city under the control of pro-Russian protesters.

Earlier this week, Netrebko also walked away from her other upcoming performances, including one at Barcelona’s Gran Teatre del Liceu on April 3.

She said in a statement: “I am against this senseless war of aggression and call on Russia to end this war immediately to save us all. We need peace now.”

The singer continued, “This is no time for me to make music and perform. I have therefore decided to withdraw from performances for the time being. It’s an extremely difficult decision for me, but I know my audience will understand and respect that decision.”


Get the latest Update in the Russia-Ukraine conflict with live coverage of The Post.


Netrebko made her Met Opera debut on February 14, 2002, starring in Sergei Prokofiev’s War and Peace. Since its start, it has contested a total of 192 performances. Her last show was at a New Year’s Eve party on December 31, 2019. She also did a Cameo appearance as herself in the 2004 Disney film The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/04/russian-soprano-anna-netrebko-out-at-met-opera-over-putin-support/ Russian soprano Anna Netrebko at the Met Opera for her support of Putin

Dais Johnston

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button