Rod Stewart turned down more than $1 million to play in Qatar: ‘It’s not right to go’
Rod Stewart has revealed he turned down more than $1 million (about £845,000) to play in Qatar.
The musician spoke about the upcoming World Cup as he explained that he had actually been asked to play a show in the country in 2021.
“I was actually offered a lot of money, over $1 million, to play there 15 months ago,” Stewart, 77, said The Sunday Times. “I turned it down. It’s not right to walk And the Iranians should also supply weapons.”
The rocker’s comments come as comedian Joe Lycett told David Beckham he would shred £10,000 if the sportsman didn’t ditch his World Cup deal in Qatar. He is reportedly getting £10million as an ambassador.
Beckham has been heavily criticized for accepting the money from a country where homosexuality is illegal, as he was previously seen as a great ally of the LGBTQ+ community.
Many fans are concerned about attending the upcoming tournament, which begins on November 20, with some fearing for their safety while in Doha.
When it became known that Robbie Williams wanted to play in Qatar this December, there was strong backlash.
TV presenter Paul O’Grady was among the critics. He said: “I’m surprised by Robbie … No amount of money would get me there.”
Earlier this month, Ian Hislop was praised for his “bang on” World Cup comments to Gary Neville, who is commentating on the tournament Do I have news for you?.
From November 20th to December 18th the World Cup will take place in Qatar. Read more about the controversy surrounding the country as the tournament host here.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rod-steward-qatar-show-b2224184.html Rod Stewart turned down more than $1 million to play in Qatar: ‘It’s not right to go’