Sport

Rafael Nadal tests positive for Covid and experiences ‘unpleasant’ symptoms that put Australian Open plans into doubt

RAFAEL NADAL’S attendance at the Australian Open is in doubt after he tested positive for Covid.

World No6 has contracted the coronavirus after traveling home from an exhibition in Abu Dhabi, where he played Andy Murray last Thursday.

Rafael Nadal has tested positive for Covid and may now miss the Australian Open

2

Rafael Nadal has tested positive for Covid and may now miss the Australian OpenCredit: Reuters

With charter flights departing for Melbourne before the end of this month, Nadal will likely miss the first Slam of 2022.

The Spaniard says he is experiencing ‘uncomfortable’ symptoms and has informed those close to him of his positive test result over the weekend.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion accepts that his calendar for the New Year has been completely disrupted, especially when Aussie open starting January 17th.

Nadal, 35 years old, said on Twitter: “I would like to announce that on my return home from playing tournament in Abu Dhabi, I have tested positive for Covid in PCR test done when I arrived in Spain Dental.

“Both in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi, we passed the controls every two days and all were negative, the last one on Friday and the results on Saturday.

“I am having some uncomfortable moments but I hope that I will improve little by little.

“I have now gone home and have informed the results to everyone who contacted me.

“As the situation unfolds, I have to be completely flexible with my schedule and I will analyze my options depending on how I play out.

“I will keep you informed of any decisions about my future tournaments!

“Thank you in advance to all of you for your support and understanding.”

Emma Raducanu received her BBC Sports Personality of the Year award from a hotel room in Abu Dhabi – as she is also in quarantine after a positive coronavirus test result.

Murray revealed on Monday that he plans to practice at home before Christmas to avoid Covid from destroying his dream of playing Down Under next month.

Scott, 34 years old, missed flight to Melbourne in January 2021 after testing positive, which he believes is a result of the National Tennis Center’s lax protocols.

LTA – English tennis‘regulators – said: “We’ve got Covid protocols adopted at the NTC in recent weeks.

“We are aware of a small number of cases involving players during this time, but there is no evidence that the outbreak is focused on NTC, rather than in the community.

“We remain open to allow players to prepare for the upcoming season but keep this and our protocols under regular review.”

Nadal lost to Murray in Abu Dhabi last week, with the Scot now training at home

2

Nadal lost to Murray in Abu Dhabi last week, with the Scot now training at homeCredit: EPA

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17096224/rafael-nadal-tests-positive-covid-australian-open/ Rafael Nadal tests positive for Covid and experiences ‘unpleasant’ symptoms that put Australian Open plans into doubt

Ashley

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button