Before passing the ruling on Thursday, the Uyghur Court received testimonies from dozens of victims and Chinese experts through two hearings in June and September.
The panel of nine citizens – including three academicians, two lawyers, two doctors, a businessman and a diplomat – also consulted hundreds of pages of evidence.
They found that the People’s Republic of China (PRC) committed genocide for the atrocities it allegedly committed. Xinjiang province, where hundreds of thousands of Muslims have been detained in mass internment camps since 2017.
The “Jury” has decided that Communist Party of China (CCP) deliberately intends to destroy part of the Uyghur community and its way of life.
Explaining his ruling, Sir Geoffrey Nice QC, who presided over the court, cited strategies of mass detention, family separation, sterilization, sexual violence, forced labor and destruction. cultural heritages are examples of the “repressive apparatus of the state”.
The court was pleased that the CCP was held accountable for a “deliberate, systematic and coordinated policy” aimed at reducing the Uyghur birth rate, Sir Geoffrey said.
The Uyghur Court also ruled that the People’s Republic of China committed crimes against humanity, including rape, torture and forced sterilization.
Beijing continues to reject the suggestion that it has committed such crimes in Xinjiang, arguing that it is simply fighting terrorism and separatism by “re-educating” locals. .
However, the leaked documents appear to contradict this story, with one story – China Cables – detailing how Chinese President Xi Jinping is said to have said “absolutely no mercy”. should be reserved for the Uighurs and other minorities.
The Uyghur Court was born due to the inability of international courts to hold China to account.
A trial before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) is groundless because China is a member of the United Nations Security Council and can veto the passage. The International Criminal Court (ICC) is also not an option, as it has no jurisdiction in Xinjiang as Beijing is not a signatory to the ICC’s Rome Statute.
Earlier this year, Dolkun Isa, head of the World Uyghur Congress (WUC), an expat community group, told The Independent that the Uyghur Court was the only way his people could seek justice.
“This is the only option: a people’s court to hold China accountable. Because of other international institutions, all national courts are not possible,” he said.
Through two hearings by the Uyghur Court, camp survivors like Tursinay Ziyawdun told jurors about the ordeals they had to endure.
Ziyawdun, 42, who was gang raped by authorities several times while in custody, said in May she was giving evidence so people could “contribute to stop this genocide”.
“I am not afraid of the Chinese government. I’m not afraid of them at all. Although I look like I’m alive, I’m already dead. The Chinese government took everything from me. They took over my body, they took over my mind. Everything. I have nothing left,” she said.
Qelbinur Sidiq, 52, was forced to teach Chinese in several detention camps in Xinjiang. She was later sterilized along with many other women.
“When I arrived at the clinic, there were hundreds of Uyghur women waiting in line. And I waited for four hours and when it was my turn I was sterilized,” she recounted.
The Uyghur Court decision was announced on Genocide Prevention Day, the anniversary of the founding of the United Nations Genocide Convention.
Countries including Australia, Britain and the United States said this week they would not send officials to next year’s Winter Olympics in Beijing because of human rights abuses in China.
China, which has refused to participate in the court proceedings, dismissed the diplomatic boycott as a “political act”, saying the US would “pay a price” for its decision.
https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/china/uyghur-tribunal-genocide-xinjiang-b1972682.html People’s Court finds China guilty of genocide against Uighurs