Pennsylvania neighbors rescue woman from burning house

A brave Pennsylvania teenager ran toward the fire Monday night to save his neighbor who was trapped in a burning house.

Curtis Lahr, 18, is being dubbed a hero after sprinting barefoot to rescue the woman and with the help of other neighbors in Coal Township saved her life. Newswatch 16 reported.

“It was just surreal, like everything in that moment, I don’t know; I just ran I had no shoes on. I was just trying to help the lady,” Lahr told local ABC partner broadcaster.

The quick-thinking teenager grabbed a nearby ladder and handed it to neighbors, who according to the outlet placed it at the back of the house on Lott Street where the woman was trapped on the second floor.

Lahr said he could feel the searing heat of the flames as he descended the ladder and saw shards of glass “shooting” out of the house.

“The smell – it was hot. I mean, right now I wasn’t aware of how smoky and hot it was in here, but it was pretty intense being so close to the fire,” he said.

Curtis Lahr, 18, on the news
Curtis Lahr, 18, ran barefoot to the burning house and grabbed a ladder to save the woman.

The woman, who could not be identified, was able to climb out of the second-story window and climb the ladder to safety.

She was covered in dark ash from the fire and was taken to a local hospital, but is expected to be fine, her family told Newswatch.

“She was just all black and her hair was burned,” Lahr said.

Burned out window of a house.
The woman was able to climb down the ladder to safety and is expected to be fine, her family said.

Maria Lahr speaks while standing with her son Curtis on a residential street.
Lahr’s mother said she was very proud of her son and grateful no one was seriously injured.

The teen’s mother, Maria Lahr, said it was a scary moment watching her son run to the fire but she was very proud of him.

“I’m glad no one was hurt. I’m very proud of him and I hope someone does it for us,” she told local broadcaster.

The woman’s family told the news outlet that the inferno started as an electrical fire in a room on the first floor.

They added that the victim will remain in the hospital for a few more days but is healthy overall. They said they were very grateful for the neighbor’s actions.


JACLYN DIAZ is a USTimeToday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. JACLYN DIAZ joined USTimeToday in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing

Related Articles

Back to top button