News

North Korea sends aid to 800 families suffering from intestinal epidemic

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other top officials were preparing aid for 800 families suffering from an unidentified enteric epidemic, state media reported on Friday, while the country also battles its first COVID-19 outbreak.

North Korea announced this week that it was facing an “acute enteric epidemic” on top of a week-long outbreak of COVID. It did not specify what the disease was, but enteric refers to the gastrointestinal tract. Display · Scroll to continue

“Officials … prepared medicines, food and daily necessities for epidemic treatment and stable life to bring relief to people in Haeju City and Kangryong County (South Hwanghae Province),” Korea Central News said Agency (KCNA). .

Leader Kim urged officials “to fulfill their duty at work to alleviate people’s misfortune and suffering as soon as possible,” he added.

North Korean army personnel deliver medicines at a pharmacy as the country announced it is facing an acute enteric epidemic.
North Korean army personnel deliver medicines at a pharmacy as the country announced it is facing an acute enteric epidemic.
via REUTERS

On Thursday, an official at South Korea’s Unification Ministry, who deals with inter-Korean affairs, said Seoul is monitoring the outbreak, which is believed to be either cholera or typhoid.

South Hwanghae Province is North Korea’s main agricultural region, and concerns raised by the outbreak could contribute to chronic food shortages amid the wave of COVID-19 infections.

North Korea has reported patient numbers with fever symptoms and unconfirmed COVID cases, possibly due to a lack of testing capabilities.

State media reported that senior officials are preparing aid for 800 families suffering from the intestinal epidemic.
State media reported that senior officials are preparing aid for 800 families suffering from the intestinal epidemic.
via REUTERS

KCNA on Friday reported 23,160 more people with fever symptoms, bringing the total in the country to over 4.58 million since late April. The death toll linked to the outbreak stands at 73.

The North has said more than 99% of feverish patients have recovered and that the COVID wave has shown signs of abating, but the World Health Organization cast doubt on Pyongyang’s claims earlier this month and said it believes the situation is improving deteriorated.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/17/north-korea-sends-aid-to-800-families-suffering-from-intestinal-epidemic/ North Korea sends aid to 800 families suffering from intestinal epidemic

JACLYN DIAZ

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button