New York City Hall is concerned about the end of Title 42 when Adams asks for help

Mayor Eric Adams and his team fear a steady influx of migrants into New York City will turn into a flood when a Trump-era immigration order ends next week — with the mayor also voicing growing concern that neither the governor Kathy Hochul still have President Biden offered a helping hand.

Senior city hall officials — including Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol, Social Services Commissioner Gary Jenkins, and City Hall senior adviser Tiffany Raspberry — held a Zoom conference call that featured title 42 repeatedly, multiple sources said to The Post.

And even Adams publicly admitted Thursday that “no one” from the federal or state government has come to the aid of the Big Apple with resources and services for the more than 30,000 migrants who have been brought here from the southern border since the spring — let alone thousands more are expected after next week.

“Dec. 21 is a date we’re all worried about,” a senior official anxiously told the group of federal, state and city lawmakers and their staff — referring to the expiration next week of the pandemic-related immigration restriction known as Title 42. The order allows border guards to quickly expel illegally entered migrants.

Migrants have been arriving in New York City for months, but more could come after Title 42 ends next week.
Migrants have been arriving in New York City for months, but more could come after Title 42 ends next week.
Robert Miller for the NY Post

“They expect people to come from all over the place. It’s common sense that they should be worried – track 42 will be up. …One wonders internally: Where’s the help?” said another source on the call.

“And the governor has largely avoided the subject — and to think that’s why they asked Biden for $1 billion recently.”

Even Adams publicly admitted he’s nervous about the upcoming deadline.

“We have a few days before the issue comes up again,” Adams told reporters during a news conference at City Hall.

The Post exclusively announced Wednesday that City Hall had submitted a $1 billion funding request to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which confirmed that the National Council for Emergency Food and Shelter Programs is currently “reviewing their request.”

City officials continue to ask for help from the government and state to deal with the influx.
City officials continue to ask for help from the government and state to deal with the influx.
Robert Miller for the NY Post

But the price was calculated well before the city’s estimated migrant population grew to over 31,000, with more than 21,000 living in the city’s shelter system, according to the latest figures released by City Hall on Thursday.

Adams, who declared a state of emergency in October over migrant crowds, said during Thursday’s news conference that the city had spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the crisis.

“Nobody helped us. No one. We didn’t get a dime from anyone. That has to stop. We need help,” a fiery Adams said as he pointed to Democrats Hochul and Biden without naming them.

“We shouldn’t be paying for this. We need help from Washington, DC – and help from the state.”

The White House and the governor’s office did not immediately respond to The Post’s requests for comment.

Mayor Eric Adams said the city has not received any aid so far.
Mayor Eric Adams said Thursday the city has not received any help from the government or the state over the migrant wave.
Paul Martinka for the NY Post

Republican Rep. Nicole Malliotakis said Adams needed to confront Biden.

“Why isn’t Mayor Adams asking President Biden to close our open border? And why won’t he question the Right to Housing law intended for citizens? The vast majority of those who enter our country have done so illegally and are not even entitled to asylum,” she told the Post.

“If our border is not secured, this problem will only get worse. It is simply untenable and unfair to expect our struggling taxpayers to keep paying for it.”

Another City Hall source said frustration is growing among Adams officials because the city has “received no help from Washington or the state.”

“People ask internally: where is the help? And the governor has largely avoided the subject and believing that’s why they asked Biden for $1 billion recently,” the source added.

Venezuelan migrants exit tent city accommodation on Randall's Island to board a city bus bound for Manhattan in search of city-provided services and clothing.
The New York National Guard received orders this week to hire more officers to man the Big Apple’s current 58 shelters and four “mega shelters.”
Matthew McDermott for the NY Post

Meanwhile, the New York National Guard received orders this week to hire more officers to staff the Big Apple’s current 58 shelters and four “mega shelters,” or “humanitarian relief centers,” through early January.

The new local plan, dubbed Operation Cluster, details of which were obtained by The Post, shows the National Guard will add more guardsmen to staff at the city’s shelters housing migrants from the southern border.

“There was a lull during the elections,” the source said, adding that the expansion is expected to be completed by Jan. 15.

“The goal … is to save money by adding additional hotels to house service members in close proximity [shelters].”

https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/new-york-city-hall-worried-over-end-of-title-42-as-adams-requests-help/ New York City Hall is concerned about the end of Title 42 when Adams asks for help

JACLYN DIAZ

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button