Former Vice President Mike Pence has backed Elon Musk’s push to release files linked to Twitter’s suppression of Hunter Biden’s laptop reveal, insisting the decision to censor them was a “shame”.
“Elon Musk is absolutely right,” said Pence, 63, during an appearance on Fox News’ talk show Outnumbered on Wednesday.
Surrounded by four panelists, Pence – who doesn’t date women alone unless it’s his wife – agreed with the new Twitter CEO’s belief that the US faces tyranny if free speech is lost.
A day after White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said officials were “keeping tabs on” Musk’s free speech reforms on Twitter, Pence went on to tear up the Biden administration.
The ex-Veep hinted that some in the White House are likely nervous as the free-speech suppression files that the billionaire announced will be released will likely include internal memos about how Twitter decided to spread the story about President Bidens censor son.
“I think it may well be because Elon Musk, who I’ve gotten to know very well during the four years of the Trump administration, is preparing to finally release information about the suppression of the Hunter Biden story …was a shame,” Pence said.
“The fact that in the weeks leading up to the election a laptop was discovered, emails were exposed, and social media platforms, including Twitter, actually suppressed access to a New York Post story is deeply offensive to me .”
Pence noted that Twitter wasn’t alone in taking extraordinary censorship measures to limit the sharing of the story, which detailed the spate of emails discovered on Hunter’s laptop in October 2020.
Facebook had also blocked people from sharing the article.
“The fact that they’re going to come out with the information, I have to believe there are some people walking around the West Wing – that’s one of the reasons they’re keeping a close eye,” Pence said.
It came as Yoel Roth, the former Twitter exec and security chief who played a key role in censoring the revelation, admitted it was a mistake.
In an interview with journalist Kara Swisher on Tuesday, Roth appeared to shrug off the blame for the controversial decision – insisting that while he had concerns about the laptop’s authenticity, he never got to the point where he thought that history should be suppressed.
“We didn’t know what to believe, we didn’t know what was true, there was smoke — and ultimately it didn’t reach a point for me where I could comfortably remove this content from Twitter,” Roth said during an interview on the Knight Foundation Conference.
“But it’s been ringing alarm bells on every single one of my finely tuned APT28 ‘hack and leak’ campaigns.”
When asked if Twitter was wrong in blocking the story from being shared, Roth replied, “In my opinion, yes.”
Musk, who has vowed to turn Twitter into a bastion of free speech, has previously insisted full disclosure was needed to determine why the social media giant decided to cover the bombshell report in the weeks leading up to the 2020 election To block.
He has been teasing the release of internal filings about the decision for several days, arguing that the “public deserves to know what really happened”.
Musk had already made his stance on the debacle clear, saying back in April that the platform’s decision to limit the sharing of The Post’s report was “manifestly incredibly inappropriate.”
And Yoel Roth, who was Twitter’s head of trust and safety until he quit earlier this month after acquiring Elon Musk for $44 billion, admitted on Tuesday that the company made a mistake by preventing people from doing so has to share the news.
https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/mike-pence-backs-elon-musk-on-releasing-twitters-post-censorship-file/ Mike Pence assists Elon Musk in releasing Twitter’s post censorship file