Rapper Tory Lanez’s trial for allegedly shooting dead Megan Thee Stallion began this week (December 5).
Lanez was released from house arrest at a judge’s discretion to prepare for a trial over claims he shot and killed Megan Thee Stallion in 2020.
The 10-day assault process has now begun with jury selection beginning Monday, with opening statements scheduled to begin Monday December 12, reports NME.
“I will lift the house arrest at this point. The main reason is that during the testing phase it is difficult to have a customer who cannot be reached. I’m doing this primarily for pre-trial reasons,” said Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Herriford.
Texas-born Megan claimed she was injured when Lanez shot her feet after a Hollywood party in 2020.
The Canadian rapper denies the allegations.
Both artists referred to the dispute in their work, as the accusation divided the music industry. In his song “Money Over Fallout,” Lanez suggested the allegations against him were false, saying, “Megan people are trying to frame me for a shootout.”
A few months later, Megan released the song “Shots Fired” on her 2020 album Good news, who reportedly accused Lanez “just to save face” and insisted she was the one “speaking facts”.
Megan Thee Stallion, 27, real name Megan Pete, and Tory Lanez, 30, real name Daystar Peterson, reportedly got into a fight while driving away from a party hosted by Kylie Jenner on July 12, 2020 in the Hollywood Hills.
At a hearing last December, the Los Angeles Police Department told a judge that Thee Stallion demanded to be let out of the car and heard Lanez yell at her to dance, the reports BBC.
Enjoy unlimited access to 70 million ad-free songs and podcasts with Amazon Music Sign up now for a free 30-day trial
He then opened fire with a pistol, officials said.
The “Savage” singer initially told police she was injured by stepping on broken glass. Later, on Instagram Stories, she said Lanez shot her.
The couple were reportedly in a relationship but split before the allegations were made public.
Lanez has denied charges of assault with a firearm and carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle. He was ordered to stay at least 100 yards (91.4 m) from Megan.
In a statement, Megan’s attorney, Alex Spiro, said, “Despite the irrefutable evidence that Megan was a victim of gun violence, the ignorant continue to support her attacker.”
Last month (November 4th) Megan replied to a text about the new collaborative album by Drake and 21 Savage your loss this seems to indicate that she was shot in the track “Circo Loco”.
The Independent has reached out to Drake representatives for comment.
Megan posted a series of tweets urging unnamed rappers to stop referring to her shooting and asking them to “stop attaching flimsy conspiracy theories to my name in bars.”
In a separate tweet, she wrote, “Stop using my shooting for clout… Since when is it cool to joke about women getting shot!”
The Independent has reached out to Tory Lanez representatives for comment.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/megan-thee-stallion-tory-lanez-assault-trial-begins-b2239797.html Megan Thee Stallion: Tory Lanez Released From House Arrest As Assault Trial Begins