News

McCarthy pleads Republicans to stop infighting: ‘Congress is not a middle school’

In this image from House Television, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy in California, speaks on the House floor during the Democrats’ environmental and social expansion bill debate at the Capitol United States on Thursday, November 18, 2021, in Washington. (Home TV via AP)

WASHINGTON (Hill) – Minority leader at home Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) On Wednesday begged Republicans to stop attacking each other as they continue to get mired in bad personal scuffles, advising them that “Congress is not a high school level. basis”.

In a closed-door meeting with rank and file Republicans, McCarthy said that intra-party controversy among a handful of Republicans – mostly between the left and the more moderate members – not helpful for the GOP as it seeks to regain a majority in 2022.

While “99% are doing the right thing,” McCarthy said, he’s called on the remaining 1% of his GOP conference to stop the infighting and stop talking publicly about the Speaker race for more than a year. another year, according to a source in the room.

McCarthy did not name any names during the meeting, but his remarks appeared aimed at conservative fanatics like Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) And Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who said that McCarthy did not yet have the vote in the GOP convention to become Speaker if they win a majority in the House.

His comments generated grumbling that could be heard from a trio of Trump loyalists – Greene, Gaetz and Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) – who sat together in the meeting, according to a GOP lawmaker.

“Congress is not a middle school level,” McCarthy reminded his members, adding that Republicans have a higher call in Washington and that they have an opportunity by midterm next year to change their position. change the world.

Republicans only have to flip five seats to win a House majority in next year’s election. But they have remained mired in infighting in recent weeks despite efforts by the Democrats to focus on messaging against the social and climate spending package.

The latest outbreak occurred on Tuesday, when Greene and Rep. Nancy Mace (RS.C.) spent much of the day launching personal attacks on each other via Twitter.

The fight started when Mace said in an interview with CNN over the weekend that she condemns “prohibitionist” comments from Boebert against Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), One of the first Muslim women elected to Congress, may have been a terrorist.

Mace’s comments drew the ire of Greene, who tweeted that the first-term South Carolina congressman was “a trash can in the GOP convention.”

Mace shoots back – using bat, poop and clown emojis – driving Greene “crazy”.

McCarthy has repeatedly tried to put out the fires during the House GOP conference in the past few weeks, but with limited effect.

Two weeks ago, McCarthy tried to block a push from some far-right members to strip committee duties from 13 Republicans in the House, who voted with Democrats for the bill. bipartisan infrastructure.

That happened the same week that two Republicans, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Illustrated) and Liz Cheney (Wyo.), voted with Democrats to censor the House of Representatives. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) And removed him from the committees for posting an edited anime video depicting him killing the Representative. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (DN.Y.).

https://kfor.com/news/washington-dc-bureau/mccarthy-pleads-with-republicans-to-stop-infighting-congress-is-not-junior-high/ McCarthy pleads Republicans to stop infighting: ‘Congress is not a middle school’

Dais Johnston

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button