Man shot dead by gunman wearing skull mask on New York subway after argument
A 34-year-old straphanger was shot and killed on the subway in downtown Manhattan early Saturday, less than a day after Mayor Adams and Gov. Hochul announced that underground crime rates were falling following a new security plan implemented in the fall , had sunk.
The man, whose name has not been released, was struck during an argument with another man and his companion on a southbound N train as it pulled into the Canal Street and Broadway station just after 1 a.m., police said .
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in stable condition, police said.
The suspect, believed to be a man in his 30s, left the station with the woman in an unknown direction, police said.
The suspect wore a mask with a skull and crossbones on it, which may have prompted a “What are you looking at?” Dispute that escalated into bloodshed, police sources said.
The suspect pulled the gun from his pocket and fired two shots, the sources said, adding that when police arrived, a second man was lying on the ground but not moving. However, it turned out that the person hit his head as he ran off the train.
During a joint appearance at the Fulton Transit Center in lower Manhattan on Friday, officials revealed compared NYPD figures showing subway crimes occurred at a rate of 1.7 incidents per 1 million riders in the first three weeks of this year with 2.3 incidents per million in 2021 and 2022.
Data from the NYPD shows that through Jan. 22, transit crime was down 28% compared to the same period last year. The crime-fighting plan included flooding the system with officers and installing additional surveillance cameras.
Additional reporting by Georgia Worrell
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/man-shot-on-nyc-subway-by-gunman-in-skull-mask-after-argument/ Man shot dead by gunman wearing skull mask on New York subway after argument