One man was killed and two seemingly innocent bystanders injured – one seriously – when a gunman opened fire at a Bronx store early Tuesday, police officers said.
The suspect chased his 31-year-old target into the store on East Burnside Avenue near the Grand Concourse in Mount Hope around 12:50 a.m. – and opened fire wildly, hitting him in the head and upper body, according to cops and police sources.
The victim, whose identity was not released until the family was notified, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Two other people inside the store – a man and a woman, both 34 – were hit in the fight and were not believed to be intended targets, police said.
The man was shot in the left arm and the woman in the torso, police said.
Both were taken to St Barnabas Hospital, where police say the woman is in critical condition and the man is in stable condition.
A person of interest was taken into custody but no charges were filed, police said.
The violence occurred on the first night the NYPD deployed additional night patrols to curb gun crime — part of the first phase of Mayor Eric Adams’ Summer Violence Prevention Plan.
The additional patrols are intended to bolster department law enforcement between the hours of 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. when “nearly half of our shootings happen,” NYPD department head Ken Corey said last week.
https://nypost.com/2022/05/03/man-killed-2-bystanders-hurt-in-bronx-shooting-cops/ Man killed in Bronx shooting, 2 bystanders injured: police officers