A Long Island judge has ordered accused Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann to undergo a cheek swab for a DNA test in the high-profile murder case — despite pleas from his attorney.
In a three-page decision, Suffolk County Superior Court Judge Timothy Mazzei dismissed the objections of the alleged killer’s attorneys and ordered the test.
“The Court concludes that, contrary to the allegations made by the defendant, there is probable cause to believe that the defendant committed the offenses with which he is charged and that there is therefore a basis to compel a mouth swab,” wrote matzee.
The verdict marks a major setback for Heuermann, a 59-year-old architect charged with the triple murder of three women whose bodies were found dumped on Gilgo Beach in December 2010.
Her death remained unexplained until Suffolk County Police reopened the case last year and identified Heuermann based on phone records, eyewitness accounts and a single strand of hair found on one of the bodies that was “linked by DNA analysis to a when.” Suspect identified.” Person of Caucasian/European descent,” Mazzei wrote.
According to police and prosecutors, they led to Heuermann, who was arrested outside his Midtown office on July 13 and charged with the killings of Amber Lynn Costello, Megan Waterman and Melissa Barthelemy, all of whom police have identified as sex workers.
Heuermann is also the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, with all four victims collectively known as the “Gilgo Four”.
The devastating strand of hair, which loosely matched DNA extracted from a napkin and pizza crust discarded near the accused killer’s office, was found in a burlap sack where Waterman’s body was hidden.
Danielle Coysh, a member of Heuermann’s legal team, had argued that prosecutors still did not have enough “probable grounds” to take a new DNA sample from her client.
“The allegations contained in the population’s moving papers could be construed to reach the level of reasonable suspicion, but that is a far cry from the standard of probable cause required to justify issuing the injunction requested by the population ‘ Coysh wrote in court papers.
However, the judge disagreed.
New York State and Suffolk County police also combed Heuermann’s Massapequa Park home looking for body parts, or “trophies,” from the gruesome murders, and even dug up the backyard.
Police said they found a walk-in gun safe lined with concrete, but did not say if evidence was found that could link the hulking architect to the murders.
Meanwhile, Heuermann’s wife filed for divorce after the arrest. Police said she told officers she was “shocked” and “disgusted” by the allegations against him.
“I woke up in the middle of the night shaking,” Asa Ellerup told The Post last month.
“My children cry themselves to sleep,” Ellerup said. “I mean, they’re not children. They are grown up but they are my children.”
Ellerup, 59, and her two children – Christopher Sheridan, 33, and Victoria Heuermann, 26 – returned to the house after police completed their 12-day search last month and found it in ruins.