Jeremy Clarkson has vowed to be “more cautious going forward” after facing backlash over his comments about Meghan Markle last week.
In a column for The sun, the journalist and former top gear The presenter wrote that he dreamed of the day Markle would have to parade naked across Britain while the crowd chanted “shame” and threw “excrement” at them.
The 62-year-old claimed that “everyone my age thinks like that”.
His remarks were widely condemned by celebrities including John Bishop and Carol Vorderman, as well as public figures such as Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who was name checked alongside Markle in the column, and London Mayor Sadiq Khan.
Clarkson wrote on Twitter: “Oh dear. I rather put my foot in it. In a column I wrote about Meghan, I awkwardly referenced a scene game of Thrones and that went down badly with a lot of people. I am appalled to have caused so much damage and will be more careful in the future.”
“I think what he said about Meghan Markle was deeply misogynistic and just awful and awful,” Sturgeon said of Clarkson’s comments.
“I have to say, taking a step back, my overwhelming emotion towards guys like Jeremy Clarkson is a shame. I mean what makes someone so contorted by hate that they end up writing these things?
“I think that potentially gives some insight into Jeremy Clarkson and the kind of person he is. So maybe he just needs to step back and think about life a little more.”
Clarkson’s own daughter, Emily Clarkson, said in an online post that she “is against everything my dad has written.”
“My views are and always have been clear when it comes to misogyny, bullying and the media’s treatment of women,” she said in a statement shared via her Instagram story.
Access unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Amazon Prime Video Sign up now for a free 30-day trial
“I want to be very clear that I oppose everything my dad has written about Meghan Markle and I continue to stand up for those who are being targeted with online hate.”
Ipso reported on Monday December 19 that it had received thousands of complaints about the item.
Speaking to BBC News, a representative from the independent press standards organization said the complaints were being assessed under their standard procedure.
Meanwhile, a new row has erupted over allegations that Clarkson and Piers Morgan, two of Markle’s most vocal critics, were invited to a Christmas dinner hosted by her mother-in-law, Camilla, Queen Consort.
Follow live updates on the Clarkson-Meghan series.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jeremy-clarkson-twitter-article-meghan-markle-b2247991.html Jeremy Clarkson responds to outrage over Meghan Markle’s article: ‘I’d rather put my foot in it’