Jay Leno revealed he suffered third-degree burns and may need skin grafts after a 115-year-old car burst into flames at his famous LA garage, where he was rescued by a quick-thinking friend.
The Tonight Show host told TMZ that he was repairing a clogged fuel line on his 1907 White Steam Car on Saturday when gasoline splattered his face and hands.
Almost simultaneously, a spark triggered an explosion that set the 72-year-old car enthusiast on fire.
Leno told the outlet that his pal Dave quickly smothered the flames, preventing even more serious injuries.
The comedian was taken to the Grossman Burn Center and treated for third-degree burns that may require skin grafts, he told TMZ.
On Monday, Leno told The Post: “I’ve sustained some serious burns from a petrol fire. i’m ok It only takes me a week or two to get back on my feet.”
Sources had told TMZ that the blast badly burned the left side of Leno’s face but did not seriously injure his eye or ear.
Leno, who has reportedly called off his engagements for two weeks, told the outlet he is expected to remain in the hospital for up to 10 days.
Concern for the comedian began Sunday night after he failed to show up for a scheduled appearance at the 2022 Financial Brand Forum in Las Vegas due to a “very serious medical emergency.”
In June, US News & World Report said that Leno’s car collection contained over 180 vehicles, including exotic cars, hypercars and museum-quality artifacts.
https://nypost.com/2022/11/15/jay-leno-suffered-third-degree-burns-in-car-fire/ Jay Leno suffered third-degree burns in a car fire