Harry Styles said he was “devastated for the victims” of the deadly Copenhagen shooting after his show in the city was canceled over safety concerns.
The former One Direction star, 28, was due to take the stage at the Royal Arena on Sunday night July 3 as part of his much-anticipated Love On Tour shows.
On Sunday afternoon, however, Danish police responded to a shooting at Field’s shopping center less than a mile from the arena, which is on the southern outskirts.
Police confirmed several people were killed and others injured, while a 22-year-old Dane was arrested after being arrested near the site.
Large crowds had already gathered in the arena when the show’s cancellation was reportedly announced by a member of the production team asking viewers to exit the show.
“Police have decided to cancel for safety reasons,” the production worker said, giving directions for their safe dispersal.
A statement from concert promoter Live Nation said: “Tonight’s concert with Harry Styles has been canceled on the instructions of the Danish police.
“We are all truly devastated by today’s events and our thoughts are with the victims and their families,” the statement said, adding, “We are evaluating future opportunities for the show and hope to be able to assist ticket buyers directly.” inform you as soon as possible.”
In a tweet, the “Watermelon Sugar” singer said he was “heartbroken” and “devastated for the victims.”
Enjoy unlimited access to 70 million ad-free songs and podcasts with Amazon Music Sign up now for a free 30-day trial
“I am heartbroken along with the people of Copenhagen,” Styles wrote, adding, “I adore this city. The people are so warm and full of love.
“I’m devastated for the victims, their families and everyone who is hurt,” he continued, “I’m sorry we couldn’t be together. Please take care of each other. H.”
After the shooting, the Danish Royal Palace announced it had canceled a Tour de France-related reception with Crown Prince Frederik.
The reception was to take place on the royal yacht, which is moored in Sonderborg, the town where this year’s third stage of the race ended.
Styles was scheduled to take his 2020 Love On Tour show around the world before the pandemic shut down the live music industry.
The rescheduled tour kicked off in Las Vegas in September 2021 before heading across the US, with the European tour kicking off in Glasgow last month.
Style’s latest album, Harry’s housewas warmly received by critics and the lead single “As It Was” recently reached its 10th week at number one in the UK.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/harry-styles-copenhagen-show-cancelled-b2115010.html Harry Styles makes statement after Copenhagen show canceled over fatal shooting