LANSING, Mich. (WJMN) – Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced Tuesday that the State of Michigan will voluntarily dismiss a federal court case against Enbridge regarding the Notice of Revocation and Termination of the Easing of the Dual Oil Pipeline. 5 in the Straits of Mackinac. Governor Whitmer originally filed a lawsuit against Enbridge in Michigan state court in November 2020 before the case was moved to federal court.
“Today, I took more action to protect the Great Lakes from the spill and help us focus on getting the Line 5 dual oil pipelines out of the water as quickly as possible,” said Gov. Whitmer said. “While I respectfully disagree, the federal court has now decided to uphold the lawsuit I filed in November 2020. I believe the people of Michigan, and our state courts, should has the final say on whether the oil company should continue pumping 23 million gallons. crude oil through the Strait of Mackinac every day. Following today’s action, Attorney General Dana Nessel’s lawsuit, filed in June 2019, can now be expedited in state court. Our goal here remains the same: protect the Great Lakes, protect Michigan jobs, and protect Michigan’s economy.”
Attorney General Nessel’s case, which sought to shut down the Fifth Line pipeline, has been put on hold in state court as a judge awaits the conclusion of Governor Whitmer’s case in federal court.
Following the development, Enbridge gave the following response:
“Enbridge is pleased by the State of Michigan’s decision to drop its case to enforce the November 2020 recall and termination notice regarding Route 5.
Enbridge will continue to pursue its case in federal court to assert federal jurisdiction over Fifth Street.
Earlier this year, Canada invoked the 1977 Transit Pipeline Treaty. U.S. Federal Judge Janet Neff in an order of jurisdiction noted that ‘federal issues in this case are being considered at this level. highest level of government in this country.’
Enbridge will continue to provide safe, reliable, and affordable energy to Michigan and the region. We will continue to pursue the Great Lakes Tunnel to build a replacement section of Route 5 so it can safely continue to serve the area.”
Sault . Tribe’s Response
In response to the layoffs, Sault Tribe President Aaron Payment sent the following statement in a press release:
“The Sault Tribe remains united with all tribal states in Michigan in our staunch opposition to 5th Street. I hope the Governor’s move is a pullback, not a withdrawal. withdraw. In our tribal leader’s call with the Governor’s Legal Counsel today, we made it clear that the Governor needs to explicitly state that a tunnel is non-rental.
Enbridge’s failure to maintain the pipeline makes Route 5 an imminent threat to our community and the entire state of Michigan. I am committed to continuing to work with the Governor and the Biden Administration to uphold our treaty rights and make it clear that both the current pipeline and the proposed tunnel are at odds with transition values. clean energy future. We will continue to work together until the pipeline is completely out of the Strait.”
Respond to DNR Michigan
Michigan Department of Natural Resources director Dan Eichinger, who filed the lawsuit alongside Governor Whitmer in 2020, released a statement supporting the move.
“The Michigan state courts should have the power to determine what happens in our Great Lakes,” Eichinger said. “No oil company can dictate to the Michiganders what happens on the lands and waters under our sovereignty. This layoff ensures that the people of Michigan have a say in protecting our Great Lakes.”
Source link Governor Whitmer voluntarily dismisses lawsuit against Enbridge over 5th Line | WJMN