WARNING about criminal Google Play apps that can hack your bank account has been issued by cyber experts.
Urgent Note warns about crafty Android apps that have been downloaded more than 300,000 times.
These apps are known as banking trojans – designed to record your keystrokes when you access your accounts.
Hackers will create these apps to look like PDF or QR code scanners, fitness guides, or crypto wallets.
But instead, they will read your bank password, login code and even take silent screenshots.
Network experts at Threats exposed the sinister hacking attack, describing it as highly sophisticated.
“Google policy has forced parties to find ways to significantly reduce the footprint of drip applications,” ThreatFainst explains.
“By introducing carefully planned minor malicious code updates over a longer period of time in Google Play.”
The apps used four different malware “families” to hijack users’ credentials.
And they used clever methods to bypass Google’s usual checks to prevent malware from entering the official Android App Store.
This allows hackers to quickly scale their campaigns.
“In just four months, four major Android lines were released through Google Play, resulting in more than 300,000 infections through multiple app drips,” ThreatFnai said.
The apps appear harmless at first, but then provide updates to introduce dangerous malware over time.
Cyber experts also warn that the malware is so sophisticated that even virus detectors struggle to detect their nefarious actions.
List of dangerous Android apps
Here is the list of apps revealed by ThreatFainst…
- Two-factor authentication – com.flowdivision
- Protect protection – com.protectionguard.app
- QR CreatorScanner – com.ready.qrscanner.mix
- Master Scanner Live – com.multiaries.combine.qr
- QR Scanner 2021 – com.qr.code.generate
- QR Scanner – com.qr.barqr.scangen
- PDF Document Scanner – Scan to PDF – com.xaviermuches.docscannerpro2
- PDF Document Scanner – com.docscanverifier.mobile
- Free PDF Document Scanner – com.doscanner.mobile
- CryptoTracker – cryptolistapp.app.com.cryptotracker
- Fitness and fitness trainer – com.gym.trainer.jeux
- Fitness and fitness trainer – com.gym.trainer.jeux (reload)
If any of these apps are installed on your Android phone, you should remove them immediately.
You should also consider changing your bank password and checking your account for strange behavior.
Best tips and hacks for phones and gadgets
Looking for tips and tricks for your phone? Want to find those secret features in social networking apps? We have you covered…
In other news, Google Chrome users have urge to delete their browser.
Facebook recently rebranded to Meta.
Check Best deals for iPhone 13 in October 2021.
And look at hidden Facebook disavow folder.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Science & Technology team? Email us at email@example.com
Source link Google’s giant warning about 12 popular Android apps caught stealing banking details