A THREE-year-old girl choked on a Nike top gag in an Asda store after her panicked parents fought desperately to save her.
Little Poppy Reardon was shopping with her mum and dad at the supermarket in Aintree, Liverpool, when she died in a “tragic accident”.
An investigation revealed how the tot was being carried by her father when she began biting the plastic zipper on his Nike running jacket.
Coroner Julie Goulding said Poppy “accidentally choked” after swallowing the gag as she detached from the top, the reports Mirror.
Off-duty paramedic David Fitzmurphy had stepped out of the store to make a phone call when his partner alerted him that the boy was choking and “turning blue”.
He rushed to the aisle and immediately began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but said it “felt like it wasn’t going in” as her “really desperate” parents, Rhian Reardon and Conor Mulhaney, desperately tried to help.
An off-duty doctor from the surgery department then began CPR on Poppy before she was taken to Alder Hey Hospital.
But when the ambulance arrived, the tot was in cardiac arrest and not breathing.
When they arrived at the hospital, Poppy was “not breathing on her own” and there were “no signs of life.”
Despite repeated attempts at CPR and shots of adrenaline, Ms Goulding said it was “not possible to resuscitate her”.
The hearing was told that the Nike top Poppy’s father wore on the day of the tragedy in August 2021 was designed for adults and distributed worldwide without “other similar issues”.
Ms Goulding concluded Poppy’s death was a “tragic accident” and said the top met all relevant UK and international standards.
The coroner expressed her “deepest condolences for their very tragic and sad loss” to the young family and friends.
Poppy and her parents had shopped at the store after 9 p.m. on August 10, 2021, ahead of a camping trip they were scheduled to take the next day.
After the incident, an unnamed worker said all employees were “devastated.”
“It’s just so sad for her parents,” they added.
“How do you get over something like that?”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17914695/girl-chokes-death-asda-parents-tried-save/ Girl, 3, chokes on Nike top gag at Asda in ‘tragic accident’ after parents desperately tried to save her