Activists participating in a campaign to recall Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon are expected to turn over hundreds of thousands of petition signatures to the county in support of the effort on Wednesday.
Organizers behind the months-long “Recall George Gascon” campaign said they would take more than 566,857 signed petitions in a truck to the Los Angeles County electoral roll in hopes of triggering a recall election to unseat the controversial chief prosecutor, who did it haunted by accusations of being a criminal.
“The sheer scale of this effort, and the time and investment required to get to this point, demonstrates the strong public desire to remove George Gascon from office,” campaign activists said in a statement to Fox News .
“From day one, this recall has been led by the very victims Gascon has failed, ignored and fired. If the recall is qualified, he can no longer ignore them.”
They also pointed to the 37 California cities that have passed “votes of no confidence” in Gascony.
To force another vote in November, activists had to collect signatures from 10 percent of all registered voters across Los Angeles County, which then had to be counted and verified. The deadline for signatures is Wednesday.
Since taking office in December 2020, Gascon has faced increasing criticism for his progressive policies to reform law enforcement in the county, including a rule against seeking the death penalty, a ban on transferring juvenile accused to an adult court and bans, in most cases Penalties to submit cases.
Gascon’s critics have argued that the policies undermined the criminal justice system and contributed to rising crime rates in LA County.
In recent weeks, the embattled chief prosecutor has been blamed for the deaths of two El Monte police officers who were killed on June 14 in a shooting involving suspect William Flores – a man with a long criminal record who was on parole at the time.
Gascon defended his office’s handling of the Flores case, saying the suspect had “no history of violence” despite previously pleading guilty to gun and drug possession charges.
Just over a week later, Gascon’s politics were again in the limelight over the case of Victor Bibiano, who allegedly killed a homeless man after being released from prison just eight years after serving a life sentence on a double murder he was considered juvenile convicted.
Bibiano regained his freedom after Gascon’s office refused to attend a transfer hearing to determine whether he should be tried again as an adult.
Gascon has repeatedly defended his policies, portraying the recall as a Republican-led political power grab.
In a fundraising message to his supporters last week, Gascon warned that if his opponents manage to recall him, “they will undo all our progress”.
https://nypost.com/2022/07/06/george-gascon-recall-group-to-deliver-petitions-to-la-county/ George Gascon callback group to deliver petitions to LA County