Four housing rule changes to watch out for this year from shaking up evictions to cracking down on landlords

Whether you’re buying a home or renting, you’ll want to know about four important rule changes to watch out for in 2022.

From a potential relocation to a crackdown on unlicensed homeowners, families could see major changes to housing regulations this year.

Here are four changing rules tenants, landlords, and buyers need to know about this year


Here are four changing rules tenants, landlords, and buyers need to know about this yearCredit: Alamy

It comes as budding buyers have battled across the country to buy homes as demand soars – and prices as a result.

The average house price in the UK has skyrocketed 10.2% in the past year to a whopping £285,000 in the UK, according to the Office for National Statistics.

It means more buyers will be priced out of the market – and renters are feeling the heat, too.

Average monthly rent for families with went up to £1,060, up from £972 a year ago – and experts predict that figure will only grow further as the year goes on.

But some rule changes could give households better protection when buying or renting a home.

We explain all you need to know.

Shake the right to evacuate

The government is expected to release the Renters Reform Bill White Paper this year, which could arrive as early as spring.

The change could affect around 11 million privately rented Brits in the UK.

A white paper is a policy document that lays out what the Government intends to include in the law and opens up the plan for oversight by other MPs.

It doesn’t necessarily mean it will be made into law this year as there are several stages of debate it will have to go through first.

But it means we’re one step closer to rolling out more rights to lessors.

Experts are expecting – and calling for – the government to drop a rule that landlords can evict their tenants even if they have done nothing wrong.

It’s called Section 21’s “no-fault eviction” rule – and it means your landlord doesn’t need a reason to evict you from their home.

The government held a consultation on permanently banning Section 21 back in 2019, and promise in The Queen’s Speech last year that it will soon release a White Paper.

Any changes are expected to be announced during this year’s Queen’s Speech.

This is the speech given when the state officially opened its parliament – last year on May 11.

Generation Rent vice president Dan Wilson said tenants should “be more confident that their home is theirs in the long run”, and feel as though they can complain if there’s a problem without fear. evicted from their home.

“For now, landlords don’t need a reason to evict a tenant, which means that tenants who have done everything they agreed to can still face the upheavals, stress and costs of a tenant. unwanted move,” he said.

“Even complaining to your landlord is risky if they can come back and give you an eviction notice – although in some cases councils can protect tenants.”

Suppression of unlicensed landlords

There’s another potential shake-up for renters from the Tenant Reform Bill White Paper.

This will affect the way councils track unlicensed homeowners.

Many councils offer plans that landlords need to apply for in order to rent their home.

This is so councils can keep track of who rents what and where – but some local governments don’t have a plan.

This means that if you complain to your local council about your landlord when something goes wrong, it will be much harder to help you counter the dispute.

Experts are calling on the government to build a national database to ensure that all homeowners are registered.

Shelter chief executive Polly Neate said: “We need a national registry of landlords to make it easier for councils to crack down on bad landlords.”

Compensation for newly built houses

A new watchdog to be established and operational this year could help bonus payouts up to £50,000 to landlords people who are at fault with their newly built homes.

Last year, it was announced that a New Home Quality Board (NHBQ) would be established, setting a code of practice that developers and builders must follow.

If builders fail to follow these rules, homeowners can report them to a new agency – the New Home Inspection Service (NHOS) – which will investigate the claims and award compensation if necessary.

NHBQ told The Sun that the final version of the code is being rolled out and will be available to consumers from April.

HomeOwners Alliance CEO Paula Higgins says there could be shortcomings with the new plan.

“Please note that this will not be retroactive so it’s no fun for people who have issues with their current newly built home,” she said.

That means you will only be able to use the service from the day the developer registers with the board and signs up for new agreements,

NHBQ said builders will be able to start signing up for the service by the end of the month – and all builders are expected to sign up by the end of the year.

Protection against wrapped bills

Cladding on apartments and tower blocks became a big problem after Grenfell Tower fire in 2017.

It resulted in thousands of buildings being identified with unsafe coatings – dubbed “silent killer” because of the fire hazard it poses.

Renters who have discovered their homes are built with hazardous materials have been unable to sell their homes and many are facing hefty bills to cover the cost of removing it from their properties. wall.

One The owner of the flat was given a bill of £100,000 to help fund the cost of replacing her home’s hazardous cladding – she bought the Leeds property for £180,000.

But Housing Secretary Michael Gove announced last week that tenants in buildings between 11m (36ft) and 18m (59ft) tall would no longer have to take out a loan to pay for repairs.

It saves many people from having to spend tens of thousands of pounds to fix the problem.

Instead, developers will have to fund and perform the necessary work to fix the unsafe overlay.

Developers have until early March to map out a fully funded action plan to remove the overlay on properties they’ve built.

If you are concerned about your safety or your building and the owners do not take steps to resolve the problem, you can contact your local government, Fire and Rescue Service, Ministry of Health. Housing Community and Local Government for advice.

You can find your local council use government website.

You can get up to £8,000 free cash just by moving house – here’s how.

Here are five ways to get help with your rent because the average bill spiked to £1,060.

I live in a tent full time to cut costs – we live rent-free and that helps us save on our own cabins Four housing rule changes to watch out for this year from shaking up evictions to cracking down on landlords


USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button