Fans of upcoming ‘The Flash’ movie have urged Warner Bros. Discovery to pull the superhero film out on Tuesday – a day after star Ezra Miller was charged with burglary.
The alleged incident occurred on May 1 and involved missing alcohol bottles from a local home in Stamford, Vt. Police were led to Miller, 29, after reviewing surveillance footage, officials said.
Miller, who portrays Barry Allen aka The Flash, has disrupted a pattern of behavior this year that has included allegations of grooming young girls in a cult-like situation, The Post previously reported.
Miller’s felony indictment sparked a firestorm on Twitter Monday, just days after Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav called “The Flash” central to the company’s strategy for major superhero films.
“With all his grooming/sexual assault allegations and now this and Warner Bros. hasn’t backed down #TheFlash yet???” wrote a fan on twitter.
“The Flash movie has to be fg FIRE for all that shit to happen all the time, and Warner Bros is still like, ‘Nah, you gotta see that shit.'” added Another user.
Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The “Perks of Being a Wallflower” actor was also arrested in Hawaii in March for disorderly conduct and in April for second-degree assault. Miller was accused of receiving ten 911 calls in less than a month while living in Aloha state.
In late June, Rolling Stone reported that Miller was hosting a mother and her three young children in her Vermont farmhouse, which was allegedly filled with drugs and guns.
During the company’s earnings call last week, Zaslav revealed his strategy for the company’s DC superhero properties and praised Miller’s $100 million streak.
“We have some great DC movies ahead of us: ‘Black Adam’, ‘Shazam!’ and ‘Flash,'” said the CEO. “And we’re working on all of that. We are very excited about them. We saw her. We think they are great.”
The CEO, on a quest to cut costs and maximize profits, has wielded a scalpel on the company’s costly film projects.
“We’re not going to start a movie to make a quarter and we’re not going to put a movie out unless we believe in it,” he added.
As a result, the executive decided to shelve Batgirl, another big-budget movie starring In the Heights star Leslie Grace, even though the film was already finished.
Fans slammed the company on Tuesday, noting the hypocrisy of cutting one film to protect the brand but standing behind another film while its star faces prosecution.
“So Batgirl with an Afro-Latina star is being scrapped because Warner Bros needs to protect the brand, but #TheFlashMovie continues with Ezra Miller despite several credible allegations and a perfectly fitting replacement in the wings in Grant Gustin? Make it meaningful” tweeted a user.
Even filmmaker Kevin Smith chimed in on his YouTube show recently.
“It looks incredibly bad to cancel the Latina Batgirl movie,” said the Mallrats director. “I don’t give a shit how bad the ‘Batgirl’ movie is, nobody in this movie is complicated or has anything in their real life that needs marketing. In the movie The Flash, we all know there’s a big problem! Flash is reverse flash in real life.”
Others, however, took a more lighthearted view of the situation. A fan tweeted a picture of Oscars 1992 host Billy Crystal dressed up as Hannibal Lecter, the cannabalistic serial killer played by Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs.
“Ezra Miller is coming to the Flash premiere,” the user said wrote above the image of a masked crystal being rolled onto the stage by guards.
https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/fans-call-for-flash-to-be-cut-amid-ezra-miller-charges/ Fans Demand Flash Cut Due To Ezra Miller Indictments