Ex-Trump attorney Pat Cipollone subpoenaed by grand jury Jan. 6

Former Trump White House attorney Pat Cipollone has been subpoenaed by a federal grand jury investigating last year’s Capitol riot as well as President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election result, according to a new report.
Sources with direct knowledge of the matter confirmed the subpoena to ABC News, adding that Cipollone’s legal team expects to begin negotiations over an appearance — as they did when he spoke to the House Special Committee earlier this year that investigated the attack examined for the Capitol.
Cipollone was first subpoenaed by the House panel in late June and appeared before the panel for — but recorded — deposition less than 10 days later.
The committee aired several clips from Cipollone’s interview during its series of public hearings, revealing Trump’s inaction during the violence, as well as the White House attorney’s skepticism about voter fraud claims made by the then-president’s private legal team.


At one point, Cipollone told the committee that he and others in the White House had urged Trump to urge his supporters to leave the Capitol immediately on the afternoon of January 6, 2021.
“I said people need to be told — there needs to be a public announcement quickly that they need to leave the Capitol,” Cipollone said.
“Just to be clear, a lot of people have suggested it. Not only me. It was the same for many people. I’m sure I’ve had conversations with [then-White House chief of staff] To mark [Meadows] about it throughout the day and expressed my opinion very strongly.”


This week’s subpoena signals that the Justice Department’s own investigation into the fallout from the 2020 election is intensifying. Last month, two of former Vice President Mike Pence’s top aides – Marc Short and Greg Jacob – appeared before a federal grand jury.
Last week, multiple reports indicated that the DOJ went so far as to question witnesses about their conversations with the former president, his attorneys, and other allies.
Attorney General Merrick Garland has not ruled out indictment of Trump under the investigation, revealing last week that his department will “pursue justice without fear or favor.”


“We intend to hold everyone, everyone who was criminally responsible for the events surrounding January 6, accountable for any attempt to disrupt the legitimate transfer of power from one government to another, that is what we are doing.” , Garland told NBC News.
“We don’t pay any attention to other issues in this regard.”
Asked whether Trump might become a candidate in the 2024 presidential election that would influence the decision, Garland reiterated, “We will hold accountable anyone criminally responsible for attempting to interfere with the transmission — legitimate, lawful transfer of power.” one government to the next.”
https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/ex-trump-counsel-pat-cipollone-subpoenaed-by-jan-6-grand-jury/ Ex-Trump attorney Pat Cipollone subpoenaed by grand jury Jan. 6