The rematch between ANTHONY JOSHUA and Oleksandar Usyk was back and forth – not least interrupted by Ukraine’s war with Russia.
Latest reports suggest that Usyk has received permission from his country’s sports minister to go to training camp and get in shape for the epic rematch with AJ.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100 GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (T&Cs apply)
The fight was thrown into doubt when Usyk joined the military in defense of Ukraine following the Russian invasion that began in February.
All parties understood the situation – after all, there is something bigger in the world than boxing.
Just like the Olympic gold medalist after his loss to Andy Ruiz Jr in 2019, Joshua wants to right his wrongs by taking on the Ukrainian in a rematch.
Usyk surpassed and largely outclassed Joshua in a game in front of 70,000 fans last year at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to win the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO world titles.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn afterwards admitted that his client hadn’t boxed nearly as well as he would in a possible rematch.
AJ, meanwhile, said the fight was a learning experience in the post-fight press conference and vowed to get revenge on Usyk.
The two sides have since negotiated a huge, money-hungry sequel, but offers for Joshua to step aside to allow for an undisputed clash with Tyson Fury have delayed the process.
However, Fury will next fight mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte, leaving Usyk and Joshua to fight again.
Joshua is also on the hunt for a new coach after testing American coaches Robert Garcia, Virgil Hunter, Ronnie Shields and Eddy Reynoso, Canelo Alvarez’s coach.
“I have to go and get new lessons from people who have coached – Robert Garcia has coached 13, 14 world champions,” Joshua told iFL TV.
“They have so many generations of teachings. Virgil Hunter trained Andre Ward, a phenomenal fighter.
“I have to go and get new lessons from people who have coached – Robert Garcia has coached 13, 14 world champions. You have so many generations of teachings.
“Virgil Hunter trained Andre Ward, a phenomenal fighter. I wanted to go around and be in an environment of fighters.
“Eddy Reynoso, ‘No boxing, no life.’ I love that saying, Canelo is obviously a phenomenal fighter, I watched him for 12 rounds and asked specific questions.
“Ronnie Shields, another African American coach who has worked with the greats.”
When is Joshua vs Usyk 2?
- Joshua vs Usyk 2 has yet to be confirmed with a specific date.
- Promoter Hearn has previously touted March or April as potential months when the rematch could take place.
- But Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has cast the whole fight in doubt as Usyk has been involved in the war effort, but he has told ministers he wants to come to a training camp for the fight.
- But Joshua has yet to start camp with a new trainer and a fight with Usyk is more likely to happen in May or June.
- That would also open up the possibility of Joshua vs Usyk 2 taking place at an outdoor stadium in the UK.
What channel is this and can it be streamed live?
- Joshua’s final fight with Usyk is shown live on Sky Sports Box Office priced at £24.95.
- It’s unclear which channel the rematch will take place on, but expect Matchroom’s broadcast partner DAZN to aggressively bid for the rights to the UK fight.
- DAZN’s subscription costs £7.99 in the UK, but the streaming service is likely to add a pay-per-view leg to its model this year.
Where will Joshua vs Usyk 2 take place?
Hearn has previously claimed the fight will take place at another UK open-air stadium.
“It’s very likely that it will happen in the UK, but we’re going to sit down and look at the options,” he said after the fight.
“There will be approaches to do this elsewhere. (But) after Saturday, the pros and cons of Saturday, I mean, have you ever seen anything like this? how good was it Have you seen anything like this before?
“That’s why I’d like to do it in England again. Maybe at Spurs, maybe at Wembley, maybe in the Emirates. They will have ideas about doing it elsewhere, but I see no reason to do it outside of England.”
There is also likely to be requests for the fight from the Middle East as Saudi Arabia hosted Joshua’s 2019 clash with Andy Ruiz Jr.
Usyk said in the post-fight press conference He was excited for the second fight, which was to be held at the Olympic Stadium in Kyiv, Ukraine.
“I would like to do the rematch at the Olympiyskiy Stadium in Kyiv,” said the new Unified Champion.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16270057/anthony-joshua-vs-oleksandr-usyk-2-date-uk-start-time-tv-channel-live-stream/ Date UK Start Time Live Stream TV Channel For Massive Heavyweight Rematch