California tech boss’s baby son found fentanyl overdose in playground

The young son of a California tech honcho with a fentanyl overdose was found crawling around a playground in an upscale San Francisco neighborhood, according to his terrified father and nanny.

10-month-old twin Sena was playing with his brother at George Moscone Park in the Marina District on Tuesday afternoon when he started breathing and turned blue, his nanny Wendy Marroqui said.

“I shook him and I thought something was wrong,” Marroqui told “I saw his face and he was dizzy. I thought he wasn’t breathing.”

She said the baby was crawling on the grass and putting leaves in his mouth like he usually does before suddenly falling ill, so she called 911.

After determining nothing was blocking his airway, paramedics administered a life-saving dose of the anti-opioid drug Narcan – which brought the boy back to the brink of death, his father Ivan Matkovic, 35, said.

Within seconds the child started crying and breathing again.

baby sena
Fentanyl was found in the bloodstream of 10-month-old Sena.
A toddler playing in a San Francisco public park nearly died after somehow being exposed to the opioid fentanyl.  The quick intervention of the boy's nanny and paramedics saved his life.
Sena played at George Moscone Park in San Francisco’s Marina District.

“It’s not just merchants and people you don’t know that are being affected, it’s tipping over to the wider population,” Matkovic told the San Francisco Chronicle after the startling squire.

“I just wanted to let people know that along with coyotes and RSV and COVID, this is another thing to add to your checklist of things to look out for [as a parent]because we weren’t,” said Matkovic, who founded tech consulting firm Spendgo.

Hospital tests later confirmed the boy had fentanyl in his system and he was sent home around midnight on Tuesday.

Wendy Marroqui
Nanny Wendy Marroqui said the boy was crawling in the grass before the overdose.

There were no drug paraphernalia, such as foil or needles, in the area, city parks officials said — although the potent synthetic opioid can be ingested through skin contact or, in powder form, accidentally inhaled.

Matkovic said police told him the boy’s most likely exposure was powder, which was difficult to detect.

The relieved father praised his nanny’s quick wits along with the paramedics.

    Ivan Matkovic
Tech boss Ivan Matkovic praised his nanny’s quick wits during the overdose.

“If it weren’t for them and their quick reactions, we might not be with our son today,” he said.

Baby Sena was in good health as of Wednesday, he said. California tech boss’s baby son found fentanyl overdose in playground


JACLYN DIAZ is a USTimeToday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. JACLYN DIAZ joined USTimeToday in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing

Related Articles

Back to top button