OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – A 15-year-old sophomore opened fire at his Michigan high school Tuesday, killing three students and injuring eight others, including at least one teacher, authorities said. know.
At a news conference, Oakland County Deputy Secretary Mike McCabe said investigators were still trying to determine a motive for the shooting at Oxford High School in Oxford Town, a community of about 22,000 people outside Detroit. about 30 miles (48 km) north.
McCabe said he was aware of allegations circulating on social media that there had been threats of a shooting at the school of about 1,700 students before Tuesday’s attack, but he warned against believe that story until investigators can look into it.
He also downplayed an incident in early November when a deer head was thrown off the roof of a school, which he said was “completely unrelated” to the shooting. The vandalism caused the school administration to post two letters to parents on the school website this month, said they responded to rumors of threats against the school but found none.
Authorities did not immediately release the suspect’s name, but McCabe said deputies arrested him within minutes of arriving at the school in response to a series of 911 calls about the assault, which occurred just before 1pm. automatic pistol and several magazines used to store ammunition the suspect used in the attack.
“He fired a lot of shots,” McCabe said. “Somewhere in the 15 to 20 zone.”
McCabe said the three students killed were a 16-year-old boy and two girls, aged 14 and 17. Two of the injured had surgery at 5pm and the other six injured were in stable condition, he said.
McCabe said the suspect’s parents visited their son where he was being held and advised him not to speak to investigators, which was his right. Police must get permission from the minor suspect’s parents or guardians to speak to them, he added.
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald released a statement Tuesday night saying her office expected to bring charges quickly and that an update would be available Wednesday.
McCabe said he is not aware of any prior conduct the suspect has committed with law enforcement or if he has any history of discipline at school.
Governor Gretchen Whitmer also spoke at the news conference, saying, “I think this is every parent’s worst nightmare,” while choking.
“My heart breaks for the students, teachers, staff and families of Oxford High School. The deaths of many students and the shooting of many others, including a teacher, are horrifying. I want to thank the first responders on the field for working hard to keep everyone safe as law enforcement officials investigate this shooting and get the community help right now. hour.
“As Michiganders, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to protect each other from gun violence. No one should be afraid to go to school, work, house of worship, or even their own home. Gun violence is a public health crisis that takes lives every day. We have the tools to reduce gun violence in Michigan. This is a time for us to come together and help our children feel safe at school.
“My heart is with the parents who have taken their children from today and with the entire Oxford community.”
Written Statement by Governor Gretchen Whitmer
President Joe Biden, before speaking at a community college in Rosemount, Minnesota, said: “As we learn the full details, my heart goes out to the families who are enduring unbearable grief. Imagine losing a loved one.”
My heart goes out to the families of all those in Oxford, Michigan going through the unimaginable pain of losing a loved one. I remain in close contact with my team as new information becomes available about this tragic shooting range surface.
– President Biden (@POTUS) November 30, 2021
The school was placed on lockdown following the attack, with some children taking shelter in locked classrooms while officers searched the facility. They were then taken to a nearby Meijer grocery store to be picked up by their parents.
Isabel Flores, 15, a 9th grader, told WJBK-TV that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from his face. Then they ran from this area to the back of the school, she said.
McCabe said investigators will review the school’s videotape and review social media posts for any evidence of a possible motive.
Robin Redding, a parent concerned, said her son, Treshan Bryant, was a 12th grader at the school but was at home on Tuesday. She said he had heard threats that there might be a shooting.
“This can’t just be random,” she said.
Redding did not provide specific details about what her son had heard, but she expressed concerns about school safety in general.
“The kids are like they’re mad at each other at this school,” she said.
Bryant said he texted some of his cousins in the morning and they said they didn’t want to go to school, and he had a bad feeling. He asked his mother if he could do his homework online.
Bryant said he heard vague threats “a long time ago” about the plan to open fire.
“You shouldn’t play about it,” he said of the threats. “This is real life.”
During a vigil at Lakepoint Community Church on Tuesday night, Leeann Dersa broke down in tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Mrs Dersa has lived for almost 73 years in Oxford and her grandchildren have attended high school.
“Fear all of us something terrible. It was horrible,” Dersa said of the shooting. “We’ve had some tragedies with young people dying over the years, and we’ve all come together and helped each other and we still go to them and love them.”
For Greg Hill, his gut-wrenching day. His children attended the elementary school in the district, and he brought them to the ceremony.
Hill, 40, said: “We’re so glad our children are safe and now it’s time for the community to heal.
Pastor Jesse Holt said news of the shooting flooded him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students in the 400-member church.
“Some were so scared, hiding under their desks and texting us, ‘We’re safe, we’re fine. We heard gunfire, but we were okay. ‘ They tried to reassure us, at least that’s how it feels,” he said on Tuesday night.
One student texted that she was hiding in the bathroom with a boy who was also seeking shelter.
After deputies apprehended the shooter, the girl fled the school and was taken in by someone who lived nearby until her mother could pick her up, Holt said.
“It’s our community,” he said. “That’s who we are.”
Several officials expressed their condolences to the victims, including, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel:
“My heart goes out to the parents who have lost a child and the students, teachers, staff and families who are reeling from the tragedy of a school shooting in their community. My department has reached out to local law enforcement to offer assistance as this investigation unfolds and I would like to extend my sincerest thanks to the first responders at the scene.
“We must act to properly address gun violence in our schools and the ongoing threat of another unscrupulous tragedy if we continue to offer only thoughts and prayers. wish. Our kids deserve better.”
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel
Associated Press writers Corey Williams of West Bloomfield, Michigan, Kathleen Foody of Chicago, Josh Boak of Rosemount, Minnesota, and David Aguilar of Oxford Township contributed to this report. News 8 contributed to this report.
https://www.upmatters.com/news/michigan-news/authorities-student-kills-3-wounds-8-at-se-michigan-school/ Authorities: Student kills 3, injures 8 at SE Michigan | WJMN