The ex-convict, who is accused of killing two people and injuring a 96-year-old bystander during a New York City shooting, was “a one-man crime wave” running with gangs from a young age when he only 12 was at law enforcement sources.
Sundance Oliver, 28, was a baby-faced member of Brooklyn’s Loop Gang, a violent crew stationed in the Pink Houses in East New York, sources told the Post on Tuesday.
Oliver – who has the words “Rich Forever” tattooed on his face and a Superman logo on his neck – has also been “freelance” with other crews and has allegedly done robberies with the Petey Gang and the Rich Fam Gang, the sources said.
In all, he had 31 arrests on his criminal record — including sealed cases — and was still on probation from a 2015 robbery conviction for which he served five years in prison.
According to sources, Oliver himself was shot dead in drug incidents in 2012 and 2013.
A police source who remembered him from his time with the Loopy Gang told The Post, “He was a one-man crime wave who always carried the gun.”
On Tuesday, Oliver was slapped with murder, attempted murder and a range of other charges in an alleged multi-day crime spree that began with a violent robbery on November 21 and ended with the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old girl. said the police.
At a news conference, NYPD chief James Essig told reporters how Oliver – who he said had 12 previously unsealed cases and had been on police radar for at least a decade – allegedly spiraled out of control in the days leading up to his latest arrest.
“Mr. Oliver was actively wanted by NYPD personnel following a three-day violent rampage that resulted in two murders, a non-fatal shooting, a robbery and an assault that had domestic implications,” Essig said.
On Monday, November 21, Oliver and four other cohorts in the Bronx allegedly robbed a man at gunpoint and got away with $4,450.
He reappeared on police radar on Friday, December 2, when cops arrested another man, Brandon Hampton, outside a Brooklyn bodega for shooting at a passing car — which police believe may have been the case Oliver drove in it, said Essig.
On Saturday, Oliver allegedly punched his girlfriend during an early-morning argument in the Bronx, with the woman later filing a domestic violence report with police in the 48th Precinct.
On Sunday, Essig said Oliver tried to rob a man outside the same Brooklyn bodega and fired two shots at the victim before allegedly stealing $3,560 from the register.
The next day “he starts killing and bloodshed,” Essig said.
On Monday, Oliver allegedly confronted Hampton’s girlfriend outside the Kingsborough Houses in Brooklyn around 9:30 a.m., demanding $50 – and opened fire as she ran.
The stray bullets hit the 96-year-old passerby, who was sitting in his wheelchair, injuring him.
At 2:40 p.m. that day, Oliver allegedly shot and killed a 20-year-old man in a sixth-floor apartment in the Smith Housing Development in Manhattan before fleeing.
Just hours later, just after midnight, Essig said Oliver shot and killed 17-year-old Keshaiya Rattray-Brothers, fatally injuring the teenager.
“Of course he should have been in jail,” said a police source. “He had been involved in criminal activity since he was 12 when he was shot. He was also arrested several times.
“If the justice system had done its job, two innocent people would have been alive today and a 96-year-old man would not have been injured,” the source said.
Essig said Oliver has had several brushes with the law since he was released from state prison on July 23, 2020 after serving more than five years for first-degree robbery — and on parole until March 2023 is.
He remained on parole almost immediately after his release from Five Points Correctional Facility in upstate New York, despite repeated arrests.
On September 7, 2020 — less than two months after his release from prison — he was arrested in Brooklyn and charged with possession of a loaded .380 caliber Ruger handgun.
A source familiar with the case said Oliver was searched by officers who believed he was present at a game of craps and a gun was found on him. A review of this case found the search unlawful, and the Brooklyn Borough Attorney’s Office dropped the case.
Then, on August 27 of that year, he was arrested by cops in Brooklyn’s 77th Precinct and charged again with criminal gun possession — the case was later sealed.
According to the source familiar with the case, who noted that Oliver was shot or shot at during the incident, the prosecutor’s office declined to prosecute because no weapon was seized and there was no ballistics evidence supporting the allegations.
A spokesman for the State Department of Correction and Community Supervision said: “DOCCS filed probation violations against Mr. Oliver in both cases. In both cases, DOCCS was unable to pursue the violations further due to a lack of evidence. The charges were ultimately dismissed by both DAs and DOCCS.”
Around 200 NYPD officers were on a hunt for Oliver when he surrendered to officers at the 77th Precinct precinct at 7 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
He was taken to Kings County Hospital after allegedly engaging in violence at the precinct, including breaking a bench in a holding cell, according to sources.
Additional reporting by Amanda Woods, Georgett Roberts and Tina Moore
https://nypost.com/2022/12/06/accused-killer-sundance-oliver-a-one-man-crime-wave-since-he-was-12-sources/ Accused killer Sundance Oliver ‘a one-man crime wave’ since he was 12: sources