ABERDEEN star Funso Ojo has been charged by police for an alleged assault on a Dundee United fan.
The 30-year-old allegedly assaulted the man following the Dons’ Premiership clash at Tannadice Park last month.
The incident is believed to have occurred an hour after the Belgian midfielder was sent off after a separate pitch incident with another United fan following the halftime break.
We’ve been told how police are looking at the alleged clash after the game on 20 November.
Knowledgeable managers and police along with Aberdeen staff stepped in to try to defuse the alleged behaviour.
The flashpoint is believed to have occurred around 5pm and is believed to be related to a fan using the club’s hotel facilities.
Police launched an investigation after the complaint came a day after the televised match ended in a 1-0 win for United, who had also been sent off by Calum Butcher.
Immediately after Butcher was sent off by referee Bobby Madden, Ojo received a second yellow card after the player’s momentum and turned to the fans.
🚨 Read our transfer news live blog for all the latest at your club 🚨
A 35-year-old United fan was later charged with assault for what is believed to be a ‘push’ at a player.
Dons coach Stephen Glass was fired after one inning for complaints made to Madden about Ojo’s red card.
Pittodrie chairman Dave Cormack supported the gaffer in a statement saying, “the club remains shocked by the decision to warn Funso second”.
He went on to say Ojo was “still shaken by the whole incident”.
Aberdeen was later unable to return the red card because the law did not allow it.
The Fifa rules state that while a reservation can be canceled for instances of mistaken identity or imitation, there is no provision to revoke this yellow.
SPECIAL BET – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFER AND FREE BETS
A force spokesman said: “A 30-year-old man has been charged in connection with a minor assault that occurred inside Tannadice Park, Dundee, at approximately 5pm on Saturday, May 20. 11.
“He will be reported to the Financial Prosecution.”
They said a 35-year-old United fan has been released on a pledge related to a communication line incident and will appear at Dundee Sheriff’s Court at a later date.
A spokesman from Aberdeen FC said: “The club is aware of the latest developments regarding an incident involving our player, Funso Ojo, and a company guest visited. unauthorized entry into the designated safe and restricted area of Tannadice Park after our game against Dundee United on Saturday 20 November.
“Unfortunately, we cannot provide any more details about the case as it is a matter for the Procuracy of Finance.
“However, the club is giving its full support to Funso, who has fallen victim to circumstances not of his own making.”
Stay up to date with ALL the latest news and transfers at the Scottish Sun football site
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/17042739/aberdeen-funso-ojo-charged-assault-dundee-united-fan/ Aberdeen star Funso Ojo charged for allegedly assaulting a Dundee United fan