RALEIGH, NC (WNCN) — When a fire broke through a home in Raleigh over the weekend, the woman who lives there ran for her life. She later discovered that her dog hadn’t made it.
Now she wants to thank the first responders who saved her beloved pet.
To see what’s left of her home in southeast Raleigh brings back the fear LaDonna Jenkins felt when she first saw the flames.
“I went to the laundry room to put the laundry from the washer into the dryer. I thought, ‘Something’s on fire, and I looked through the blinds and saw a pillar of yellow fire,’ she said. “I said, ‘I have to get out,’ and I said, ‘Sassy, let’s go!'”
Sassy Cinnamon is Jenkins’ dog.
“I got her on Christmas Eve 2010,” she said, adding that the pup weighed just over a pound at the time.
If that Fire broke out on Saturday afternoonJenkins thought Sassy would run from the fire too.
But when Jenkins came across the street to a neighbor’s house, the dog wasn’t there.
When first responders arrived, she told them she didn’t know where the Sassy was.
As firefighters worked to put out the blazes, the city was Raleigh says Fireman Brett Taylor went inside the burning house. Taylor spotted Sassy under a bed, unresponsive.
He carried her outside to waiting paramedics.
“They came and said, ‘You know what?'” Jenkins explained. “I started shaking and I said, ‘Just tell me yes or no,’ and they said ‘Yes,’ and I said, ‘Oh, thank you Lord.'”
Awaken Paramedics used a pet oxygen mask to revive Sassy. She needed emergency care for a few nights, but first responders saved her life and Jenkins is grateful for their work.
“I’m a retired military man and I know what it’s like to be out there on the front lines,” she said.
Despite losing her 11-year-old home, she has only words of gratitude.
“Thank you to everyone — police officers, firefighters, EMTs, the fire investigators, my neighborhood … Everyone came together,” she said.
Now, thanks to the kindness of the community, Jenkins and Sassy can make a fresh start together.
“Let’s take care of each other no matter the situation,” Jenkins said. “You never know when someone will need someone.”
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/raleigh-woman-thanks-crews-for-saving-her-dog-from-house-fire/ A Raleigh woman thanks crews for saving her dog from a house fire