News

Victory for Duchess Meghan as UK tabloid’s appeal is dismissed

FILE PHOTO: Prince Harry and Meghan, Britain's Duchess of Sussex, attend the Endeavor Fund Awards in London
FILE PHOTO: Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaks during the annual Endeavor Fund Awards at Mansion House in London, Britain March 5, 2020. Paul Edwards / Pool via REUTERS

December 2, 2021

By Michael Holden

LONDON (Reuters) -Meghan, Britain’s Duchess of Sussex, hailed a victory in front of a tabloid on Thursday after a British court rejected an appeal against a ruling that violated her rights privacy by printing part of a letter she wrote to her estranged father.

The Mail on Sunday sought to overturn a Supreme Court ruling that it violated the privacy and copyrights of the Royal Family by publishing parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her father Thomas Markle. in August 2018, three months after her wedding to Prince Harry, the Queen. Elizabeth’s grandson.

But the Court of Appeal in London rejected the Mail’s appeal, saying the content of the letter “is a personal, private matter and is not in the legitimate public interest”.

This decision saves Meghan from having to appear at a trial where both she and her father will present evidence.

The Duchess said in a statement: “This is a victory not just for me but for anyone who has ever felt the fear of standing up for what is right.

“While this victory is pre-established, the most important thing is that now, as a group, we are brave enough to reshape a tabloid industry in which people are cruel and profit from the lies and pain they create.”

There was no immediate response from the newspaper.

Meghan wrote the five-page letter to Markle after their relationship collapsed in the run-up to her wedding, which her father missed due to ill health and after he admitted to posing for paparazzi.

The newspaper published excerpts in February 2019, arguing that Markle wanted to make the letter public in response to anonymous comments made by Meghan’s friends during interviews with America’s People magazine.

The appeal comes after a high court judge ruled earlier this year in Meghan’s favor, concluding that the newspaper should print its front page apology and pay her legal bills. .

Lawyers for the Mail argue that Meghan, 40, wrote the letter knowing it could be made public, an offer she turned down.

During three days of hearings in appeals court last month, the newspaper’s legal team released a witness statement from her former communications director Jason Knauf that they said cast doubt on her account. she.

Knauf’s statement also shows that she and Harry discussed supporting the authors of the couple’s biography, something she had previously denied. That led to the duchess having to apologize but say she did not intend to mislead the court.

But the Court of Appeal rejected the newspaper’s arguments, saying the new evidence from Knauf was “less supportive” and Meghan’s “unfortunate memory loss” had no bearing on the outcome.

The three senior justices said in their rulings: “It is difficult to see what evidence could be presented at trial that would alter or be relevant to this matter.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Kate Holton and Janet Lawrence)

https://www.oann.com/victory-for-duchess-meghan-as-uk-tabloid-court-appeal-dismissed/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=victory-for-duchess-meghan-as-uk-tabloid-court-appeal-dismissed Victory for Duchess Meghan as UK tabloid’s appeal is dismissed

DUSTIN JONES

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button