News

Turkey’s prosecutor is trying to drop the trial of Saudi suspects in the Khashoggi murder case

FILE PHOTO: A protester holds a placard with a picture of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in front of the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul
FILE PHOTO: A protester holds a placard with an image of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in front of the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 25, 2018. REUTERS/Osman Orsal/File Photo

March 31, 2022

ISTANBUL (Reuters) – A Turkish prosecutor on Thursday asked a court to drop the trial in the absence of 26 Saudi suspects in the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and to refer the case to Saudi authorities.

The court said it would seek the Justice Department’s opinion on the motion and scheduled the next hearing for April 7.

Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018. Turkish officials believe his body was dismembered and removed. His remains have not been found.

In September 2020, a Saudi court convicted eight people between the ages of seven and 20 of killing in a trial critics said lacked transparency. None of the accused were named.

Following the Saudi trial, Turkey’s court in November ordered the justice ministry to send a letter to Riyadh asking about those convicted in the kingdom to avoid the risk of double punishment.

Turkish prosecutors said the Saudi authorities responded by asking the case to be referred to them and the so-called Red Notices against the accused lifted.

Riyadh also pledged to look into the allegations against the 26 defendants if the case were transferred, the prosecutor said.

The prosecutor said the motion should be accepted because the defendants are foreign nationals who cannot execute arrest warrants and red orders and their testimonies cannot be taken, causing the case to stay or stay.

A US intelligence report released a year ago said Prince Mohammed authorized the operation to assassinate or capture Khashoggi. The Saudi government has denied any involvement of the crown prince and has dismissed the report’s findings.

The Crown Prince told The Atlantic in an article published this month that he felt his own rights had been violated by the allegations against him, as everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

(Reporting by Ali Kucukgocmen; Writing by Dominic Evans; Editing by Jonathan Spicer and David Clarke)

https://www.oann.com/turkish-prosecutor-seeks-to-halt-trial-of-saudi-suspects-in-khashoggi-killing/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=turkish-prosecutor-seeks-to-halt-trial-of-saudi-suspects-in-khashoggi-killing Turkey’s prosecutor is trying to drop the trial of Saudi suspects in the Khashoggi murder case

Bobby Allyn

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button