THOUSANDS of motorists only have days to renew their driver’s license to avoid a £1,000 fine.
The license was automatically renewed during the pandemic, but the additional period will end next week.
Normally drivers have to renew their licenses every 10 years but they have been granted more time during the Covid crisis.
At the height of the pandemic, driving licenses had an extra 11 months while Britons were on lockdown and were less likely to renew their licenses.
Extra time apply for license Expires February 1 to December 31, 2020.
That means if your license expired at the end of last year, you’ll have until November 30 – a few days – to renew your license.
If you are caught without a valid licence, you could be fined £1,000.
It can also lead to three to six penalty points and denial of insurance claims.
How to check if your license has expired
To know if your license has expired, you need to check the date listed on your photocard.
Check the date listed as 4b – if it passed, then your license photo has expired.
This means you need to buy a new one as soon as possible and stay out of the way or risk a fine.
How do I renew my driver’s license?
You can renew your license online or by submitting the form to the DVLA.
It costs £14 if you do it online or £17 if you post your claim.
To renew online, you need:
- valid UK passport
- become a resident of the UK – there is another service in Northern Ireland
- pay £14 with a MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card – but no charge if you’re over 70 or have a short-term medical license
- the address where you have lived for the past 3 years
- your current driver’s license (if you don’t have one, you must state why in the application)
- Your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- so as not to be disqualified from driving
You can also mail it in, all you need is a Packet of D1 forms which you can pick up at some Post Offices or from DVLA website.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun Money team?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/16869410/drivers-renew-licences-to-avoid-1000-fine/ Thousands of drivers only have DAYS to renew their licenses to avoid £1,000 fines