UK pubs are the unofficial home of barbecue dinners and English food culture in general – did your local make the list?
The Unruly Pig with chefs Dave Wall and Karl Green, as well as TV host Angellica Bell (image: top 50 pubs)
Pubs are the heart and soul of British food culture.
The informal home of grilled, and hearty dinners food and drink More generally, these intimate dining spaces can be found all over the UK (apart from Scotland and Northern Ireland, if Estrella Damm’s Top 50 judges are to be believed).
The Unruly Pig in Woodbridge, Suffolk was named the UK’s best pub at an awards ceremony in Manchester on Monday (January 25).
What do the judges say about the establishment – and who else made the Top 50?
Here’s what you need to know.
What is Estrella Damm’s Top 50 Pubs List?
For the past 13 years, pub trade magazine The Morning Advertiser has compiled a list of the best food pubs in the country, sponsored in 2022 by Spanish beer brand Estrella Damm.
It was voted by more than 400 pub owners, dish critics and industry experts.
This year’s awards are hosted by TV presenter Angellica Bell.
Why did The Unruly Pig win?
The Unruly Pig, based in the town of Woodbridge near Ipswich, has been named the UK’s best gastro pub because it’s “fun, warm and witty”, as judged by 50 weekly judges. head.
With a menu of “locally sourced, no-frills” seasonal dishes served by chef Dave Wall, the establishment is praised for its “maverick” atmosphere.
Owner Brendan Padfield said winning the gong was “a great honor”.
“There are some very famous chefs and talented executives here and for us, being a small part of this amazing list means a lot to all of our team, ” I said.
“They can really hold their heads high again because our list is because of their dedication, loyalty and unwavering commitment.”
Full list of the top 50 gastro pubs in the UK:
- The Unruly Pig, Woodbridge, Suffolk
- Parkers Arms, Clitheroe, Lancashire
- The Star Inn at Harome, Harome, North Yorkshire
- Angel in Hetton, Hetton, North Yorkshire
- Freemasons at Wiswell, Clitheroe, Lancashire
- The Sportsman, Whitstable, Kent
- The Guinea Grill, London
- Fordwich Arms, Canterbury, Kent
- Mariners, Rock, Cornwall
- The Hand & Flowers, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- Honeycomb, White Waltham, Berkshire
- Kentish Hare, Bidborough, Kent
- Coach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- Cornish Arms, Tavistock, Devon
- The Harwood Arms, London
- The Red Lion and the Sun, London
- Pyne Arm, Barnstaple, Devon
- The Rat Inn, Anick, Northumberland
- The Broad Chare, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Hardwick, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- Bull & Last, London
- The Masons Arms, Knowstone, Devon
- Tube and Glass, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- The Longs Arms, South Wraxall, Wiltshire
- Swan, Bampton, Devon
- White swan at the fence, fence, Lancashire
- The Loch and The Tyne, Old Windsor, Berkshire
- Duncombe Arms, Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- French House, Soho, London
- Moorcock, Norland Moor, West Yorkshire
- Shibden Mill Inn, Shibden, West Yorkshire
- The Pack Horse, Hayfield, Derbyshire
- Heft, High Newton, Cumbria
- Felin Fach Griffin, Brecon, Powys
- The Five Bells Inn, Cullompton, Devon
- St Kew Inn, Bodmin, Cornwall
- The Castle Inn, Castle Combe, Wiltshire
- Canton Arms, Stockwell, London
- Higher Buck, Waddington, Lancashire
- The Duck Inn, Pett Bottom, Kent
- The Hovingham Inn, North Yorkshire
- Plow, Coton, Cambridgeshire
- Three Hills, Bartlow, Cambridgeshire
- The Hind’s Head, Bray, Berkshire
- Dog in Wingham, Wingham, Kent
- The Bell Inn, Langford, Oxfordshire
- The Black Bear Inn, Usk, Monmouthshire
- Cadeleigh Arms, Tiverton, Devon
- Bailiwick Freedom House, Egham, Surrey
- Cross, Kenilworth, Warwickshire
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers living and working across the UK. Learn more about who’s Who in the group, and ours editorial value. We want to start a community among our readers, so follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagramand continue the conversation. You can also register email newsletter and get a selection of our best readings delivered to your inbox every day.
https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle/food-and-drink/top-50-gastropubs-uk-2022-estrella-damms-list-of-best-foodie-pubs-as-the-unruly-pig-woodbridge-voted-best-3540846 The UK’s top 50 gastro pubs 2022: Estrella Damm’s list of best gastro pubs – like The Unruly Pig, Woodbridge voted best