The trial of former Hillary Clinton campaign attorney Michael Sussmann on Monday is set to be followed by Special Counsel John Durham’s case against a source of discredited reports in the notorious “Steele dossier” – with possible further indictments.
Like Sussmann, Igor Danchenko – who faces trial in Virginia in October – is accused of lying to the FBI about alleged ties between former President Donald Trump and Russia.
In Danchenko’s case, alleged falsehoods include denying that PR executive Charles “Chuck” Dolan Jr., a longtime supporter of Bill and Hillary Clinton, provided him with information he passed on to former British spy Christopher Steele for opposition research against Trump.
The footage allegedly included elements of the salacious claim that Russian intelligence had a record of prostitutes urinating on a bed in the presidential suite of Moscow’s Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Trump’s orders because former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama had slept in it before.
Dolan seemed shocked after the dossier was released by Buzzfeed just before Trump’s 2017 inauguration, and he sent an email saying, “I hope this gets debunked as fake news,” the Wall Street Journal reported last week.
Both Sussmann and Danchenko have pleaded not guilty.
Former senior Justice Department prosecutor Jim Trusty said that “the big question with the Durham Inquiry is whether it goes up one of two chains” as he probes possible criminality in the administration’s investigation into Trump.
One concerns whether Sussmann’s alleged misconduct extends “down the ladder” from Hillary Clinton’s campaign to the candidate herself, said Trusty, a Fox News staffer.
Other potential targets include FBI officials who may have “knowingly” used false information to mislead the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court into authorizing wiretapping of former Trump campaign staffer Carter Page, Trusty said.
“There could be other issues, like the prosecution (former tech lead and Sussmann client Rodney) Joffe or others, but the big things remain to be seen,” he said.
A spokesman for Joffe has denied doing anything illegal, describing him as “an apolitical cybersecurity expert with decades of service to the US government who has never worked for any political party.”
Days after Danchenko’s indictment in November, Trump’s second national security adviser, John Ratcliffe, predicted that “there will be many indictments based on the information I gave John Durham and that I saw.”
In February, Ratcliffe again said he expected “quite a lot more indictments” just hours before Fox News reported that Durham’s investigation had “accelerated” with “much more activity… than the public is aware of.”
https://nypost.com/2022/05/16/steele-dossier-source-up-next-in-durham-probe-of-trump-russia-investigations/ The Steele dossier source is next in the Durham inquiry into the Trump-Russia investigation