The Justice Department has issued around 40 subpoenas over the past week and confiscated the phones of two top Trump advisers — a dramatic move in the criminal probe into the former president’s role in the Jan. 6 riots.
The department issued the subpoenas to former President Donald Trump’s close allies and seized the phones of longtime Trump adviser Boris Epshteyn and campaign strategist Mike Roman, the New York Times reported Monday, citing sources familiar with the probe.
Federal agents confiscated the two men’s phones as evidence last week, the sources said.
Both are suspected of being involved in an alleged plan to use fake election lists to overturn the state’s 2020 election results and keep former President Donald Trump in office.
No one responded to the Times request for comment.
The Justice Department subpoenaed a diverse group of Trump allies, from humble aides to his most senior advisers, the report said.
Trump’s former social media director Dan Scavino and former NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik – who made unsubstantiated allegations of voter fraud during the 2020 election – were reportedly among those subpoenaed.
Many of the subpoenas seek information about the 2020 “wrong voters” conspiracy to submit lists of voters supporting Trump from swing states that were actually won by President Joe Biden.
Previous subpoenas related to the plan sought information about attorneys allegedly involved, including Rudy Giuliani, John Eastman and Jeffrey Clark. Around the same time, federal investigators confiscated Eastman and Clark’s phones.
They also subpoenaed Republican lawmakers in Pennsylvania last month in connection with the election fraud conspiracy.
However, some of the subpoenas focus on the activities of Trump’s post-election political action committee Save America and its fundraising efforts, the Times reported. The new development invites speculation about funds Trump has raised under the guise of fighting baseless voter fraud.
The Justice Department investigation into Trump and his camp’s actions comes ahead of and on January 6, 2020, while the Department is also investigating the former President for his removal of classified documents from the White House to his Mar-a-Lago residence.
It’s also separate from the Jan. 6 House Special Committee inquiry — although at least some of the 40 new subpoenas also required that records turned over to the House Committee be turned over in the criminal investigation, according to the Times.
The Justice Department declined to comment on the newspaper’s findings, the publication said.
https://nypost.com/2022/09/12/doj-issues-40-new-subpoenas-seizes-2-phones-in-jan-6-probe/ The DOJ issues 40 new subpoenas and seizes 2 phones in a Jan. 6 investigation