Highland Park hit man Robert Crimo III admitted to police three years ago that he was a depressed teenage drug user when questioned he had threatened to “kill everyone in his family” like new show published documents.
A Highland Park police report explains why the then 18-year-old gunman was labeled as a “clear and present danger” in 2019 – just months before his father helped him build the arsenal with which he killed seven and injured dozens at his local parade on the 4th of July.
It notes that officers were called to his Highland Park home at 10am on September 5 to check on well-being after a relative said: “Robert said he would kill everyone.”
That relative – whose identity has been redacted – “was afraid to go home due to the nature of the threat” and the fact that there was “a collection of knives in his bedroom,” according to the report released on Wednesday.
Police questioned Crimo, then 18, in front of his mother, Denise Pesina, and he “admitted to being depressed … and to having used drugs in the past,” according to the redacted report. What drugs he was using at the time was not described.
Although one of her relatives was too scared to return home, the depressed teenager and his mother “were not forthcoming about the language he used,” responding officers noted.
The cops also spoke to Crimo’s father, Robert Crimo Jr., who immediately said that “the knife collection belongs to him,” according to the report.
“Robert Krimo [Jr.] then agreed to donate the collection of 16 knives kept in a tin lunch box along with a 12-inch dagger and a 24-inch samurai blade in Robert E. Crimo III’s bedroom closet,” it reads in the report. According to the report, the father picked up the guns from the police station just four hours after the first call.
With his mother still present, Crimo – who had previously threatened suicide – was “asked if he felt like harming himself or others,” according to the report, to which “Robert answered no.”
However, the local police report noted that “a Clear and Present Danger Form was completed and faxed to the Illinois State Police.”
It states that such declarations “are intended to identify persons who, if allowed access to a firearm or firearm ammunition, present a real, imminent risk of serious bodily harm to themselves or to another person[s] which is articulate and relevant or which is likely to act in a way that jeopardizes the public interest.”
State police were investigating under the state’s warning sign laws, which would allow them to take guns away or bar active applications to get them.
But Crimo “had no FOID [firearm owner’s identification card] card or pending application “at the time and left the state police with no weapons to take, the Illinois state police said in a separate update Wednesday.
Because “both the person and his mother denied the threat of violence,” Crimo “told police he had no desire to hurt himself or anyone else” and his father claimed the knives were his, “there was no probable cause for.” an arrest,” the state Kraft said.
“In reviewing the report at this point, the review officer concluded that the information was insufficient for a clear and current hazard determination.”
It meant nothing would stop Crimo from buying guns in the future – which he applied for with his father’s help just two months later.
His FOID card application “included a parental legal guardian affidavit signed by the applicant’s father,” state police said Crimo was “not banned from firearms” at the time.
“At the time the FOID application was approved for the subject individual, there was no new information to establish a clear and present danger, no arrests, no criminal record ban, no mental health bans, no protective orders, no other disqualifying bans and no gun ban.
“The available evidence would not have been sufficient for law enforcement to seek a court order for a firearms restraining order,” the state force said.
Crimo, now 21, bought at least five guns, including the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 semi-automatic rifle, with which he fired more than 80 rounds at parade-goers Monday, killing seven and injuring dozens more.
A Kel Tec Sub2000 was found in his car after his arrest, and a Remington 700, shotgun and Glock 43 were recovered from his home, officials said.
Despite sponsoring his son, the killer’s father said in an exclusive interview with The Post on Wednesday that he bore “zero” responsibility for his son’s fatal attack.
“He bought everything himself and they are registered to him,” the father said of his son’s guns.
“You know, he drove there, he ordered them, he picked them up, they did his background check on everyone,” Crimo Jr. said.
He dismissed his son’s threat in 2019 as a “childish outburst,” comparing the sword and knives briefly confiscated at the time to his own earlier collection of “coins and baseball cards.”
Crimo was hit with seven counts of first-degree murder, which would carry a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole.
“There are many, many more charges to come,” Lake County District Attorney Eric Rinehart said, vowing to order attempted murder and aggravated battery charges for anyone injured.
Some of the wounded remained hospitalized in critical condition and the death toll could rise, police warned.
https://nypost.com/2022/07/07/robert-crimo-iii-told-cops-he-was-a-depressed-drug-user/ Robert Crimo III told police he was a depressed drug user