A major beta patch for Overwatch 2 went live on May 5th, with tons of buffs and nerfs for many of the game’s cast.
The Overwatch 2 beta has been running for over a week now and players have been having a blast with numerous hero overhauls, new abilities and the revamped 5v5 gameplay.
Amid complaints that support heroes, especially Zenyatta, are underpowered compared to others like Zenyatta, the developers have made a number of sweeping changes.
Notably, Soldier 76 reduced his Heavy Pulse Rifle’s damage, likely because it proved deadly without so many shields.
Roadhog has also been polished fairly well. His Wholehog Ultimate is no longer canceled by stuns and he can even use standard abilities while doing it.
Focused on his survivability, Lucio’s nerfs target his self-healing by increasing the penalty from 30% to 60%.
However, the biggest change in this patch is probably Zenyatta’s, as he now has a new passive ability called Snap Kick. This has increased his fast melee damage by 50%, meaning he now deals 45 damage. Also, it’s gotten a nice knockback which should help it while it’s surfacing.
It’s not clear how many more balance patches we’ll see for this first beta, but it will be fun to see how they impact the meta and the Overwatch League when the time comes.
Overwatch 2 PvP Beta Patch Notes – May 5, 2022
- Quick Play Open Queue enabled
- Made adjustments to the Kill Feed and Activity Feed UI
- Customized audio mix:
- Reduced bass frequencies on third person weapons
- Fixed a bug in the reverb system that caused the reverb to play from all directions – now it should be fully aimed at the sound source.
- Fixed a bug where the “Thank you for reporting” message was not deleted
- Fixed a bug where names in the friends list were displayed alphabetically regardless of game status
- Fixed a bug where heroes that killed themselves were displayed incorrectly in the kill feed
- Fixed a bug where health packs were sometimes missing timers
- Fixed a bug where Reaper was sometimes auto-selected in hero select
- Fixed a bug where the control progress bar was sometimes the wrong color
- Made several adjustments to volume and mix
- Fixed several crashes
- Fixed a bug where Wrecking Ball could crash other players
- Fixed a bug where melee attacks didn’t damage Doomfist during Power Block
- Fixed a bug where Roadhog’s grapple would start its cooldown on return instead of on cast
- Fixed a bug where the Soldier’s Heavy Pulse Rifle could snap awkwardly while in Tactical Aim
- Fixed a bug where Soldier 76 would have a slanted UI when wearing his Ugly Sweater skin
- Fixed a bug where firing Symmetra’s turrets into the horizon would cause turrets to become unusable
- Fixed an issue where Hanzo’s White Wolf skin appeared invisible
- Fixed a bug where Brigitte’s shield wasn’t blocking damage from above
- Fixed a bug where using Nano Boost on Doomfist would overwrite his damage reduction
- Fixed a bug where Sonic Amplifier could lock up and not reload
- Adjusted some geometries on top of the train to prevent players from staying there indefinitely
- Adjusted some geometries that could be abused by players
We’ve seen a lot of players with different abilities having trouble landing shots with their alt-fire, so we’re making the projectile width wider.
Sojourn is all about mobility, and we wanted her to move more freely around the maps. We believe this will help increase her effectiveness and make her even more fun to play with.
Railgun alt fire
- Projectile width increased from 0.05m to 0.1m
- Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
We think Soldier 76 was overdone in the first week of the PvP Beta. He was extremely mobile with the new passive damage increasing movement speed by 10%. We reduced his sprint ability slightly in view of the new passive ability.
Soldier 76 has always been a high damage hero, but we’re seeing fewer counters against him with one less tank per team. We reduced the damage of his Heavy Pulse Rifle to match 5v5.
We wanted to make Tactical Visor a more interesting ultimate for players looking to improve their aiming skills through the ability. The purpose of this change isn’t just to buff him or even out the nerfs. We wanted to make Soldier 76 more fun to play while also rewarding mechanical abilities.
Heavy Pulse Rifle
- Damage reduced from 20 to 18
- Movement speed reduced from 50 to 40%
- Now allows critical hits when a shot would have been a critical hit without running
- No longer removes the damage falloff from his Heavy Pulse Rifle
After testing the new passive damage effect for a week, we decided to balance Sombra’s sneak speed with a view to increasing movement speed by 10%.
- Movement speed reduced from 65 to 50%
We’ve seen Roadhog underperform, so let’s make his ultimate more interesting, effective, and fun. Roadhog died frequently while using Whole Hog, so we’re trying to give him more options and flexibility in his ult.
- This ability has changed from a “Channeling” ultimate (e.g. Pharah, Reaper, Cassidy) to a “Transformation” ultimate (e.g. Soldier: 76, Genji, Winston). That means:
- The weapon no longer auto-fires and you must press primary fire to use the ultimate ability
- You can use normal abilities during Whole Hog without canceling the Ultimate
- Stuns no longer break the Ultimate
The change to Winston’s secondary fire allows him to use it more often without sacrificing as much of his primary fire. We want his secondary fire to feel less restrictive and more fluid than his kit.
- Reduced secondary fire ammo cost from 20 to 12
We are restoring Rolls Knockback to the original value when Wrecking Ball was released. We wanted to give Wrecking Ball a more unique role as a dive tank that can slice up enemy teams. We made this change with 30% recoil resistance passive armor in mind.
- Recoil increased by 36%
There are fewer counters for Graviton Surge with one less tank per team and phase effects no longer escaping Zarya’s Ultimate. We’ve been observing Ultimate Overpower, so this change brings it in line with 5v5 gameplay.
- Duration reduced from 4 to 3.5 seconds
Lucio had incredible survivability with Crossfade stacked with the new passive support role, so we reduced the amount it heals on its own.
- Self-heal penalty increased from 30% to 60%
Baptist underperforms because teams aren’t currently grouped that way. By increasing his healing ammo, he can heal more targets that aren’t necessarily in a group.
Biotic Launcher Alt Fire
- Heal ammo increased from 10 to 13
Ana’s Biotic Grenade was too effective with one less tank and rarer barriers, so we’re reducing the ability’s duration. We also saw Ana use her grenade less often on herself due to the new passive support ability. To compensate for her grenade, we wanted to give her power back by increasing her biotic rifle’s ammo.
- Ammo increased from 12 to 15
- Duration reduced from 4 to 3 seconds
Zenyatta has trouble fighting at close range, so he was at a disadvantage when an enemy flanked him or jumped on him. His new Snap Kick passive ability will help him create space and get enemies within his combat range.
We think this new passive will be a fun addition to his kit, but we also want to address community concerns with this change. We understand that 5v5 has made support heroes feel more vulnerable, and we wanted to give Zenyatta tools to help put some distance between him and his enemies.
- Base shields increased from 150 to 175
- New passive ability
- Increases fast melee damage by 50% and greatly increases recoil
It’s hard to tell when Brigitte lands a Shield Bash as the effect of this ability wasn’t easy to see. This is a subtle change that makes the ability feel more satisfying.
https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-2-beta-may-5-update-buffs-zenyatta-nerfs-soldier-76-lucio-more-patch-notes-1817826/ Overwatch 2 May 5 Beta Update Improves Zenyatta, Nerfs Soldier 76, Lucio, More: Patch Notes