OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – A 6-year-old girl in Oklahoma is currently recovering from a brief scare with the illness caused by COVID-19.
Rili Brittain said: ‘It was the worst thing to see her know that you couldn’t do anything for her or help her in any way.
Multisystem inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, is what Braylee Maloney’s mother, Rili Brittain, told KFOR who had her daughter hospitalized for nearly two weeks.
Braylee was put on a ventilator for about three days after being diagnosed with the most common childhood illness.
“We sometimes see this with other pathologies and other infections. Dr Melinda Cail with Key Medical Partners said: “A bacterial or viral infection can cause this.
Dr. Cail told KFOR that illness often occurs after children contract COVID-19. Brittain said Braylee contracted the virus a few weeks before she was diagnosed with MIS-C. She took Braylee to the hospital after noticing Braylee was lethargic, tired and even complained about her head hurting. Before being hospitalized for MIS-C, Brittain was told by Braylee doctors that she had a strep infection. She was prescribed antibiotics. She told KFOR when Braylee was admitted to MIS-C, she had a fever of 107 degrees.
Brittain said: “I didn’t even know I had to be strong for her because she couldn’t see me crying or her crying.
Brittain said she learned of Braylee’s case early on and believes that if she had ignored her behaviour, things could have been much worse.
Dr Cail told News 4 that the syndrome is an inflammatory response in the body about four weeks after infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Initial symptoms usually include fever, rash, red eyes, diarrhea, and vomiting, and may get worse over the course of several days. Inflammation can affect the heart, blood vessels, and other organs.
Brittain told KFOR that fever, fatigue and headache were the only symptoms Braylee experienced before she was taken to the hospital.
“I would say kudo to mom when I know when your child isn’t acting the way he should. Kudos to her mother for seeking medical treatment when she did. She saved her life,” said Dr. Cail.
Brittain credits the OU doctors at Children’s Hospital for saving Braylee’s life.
Brittain said: “Our doctors are amazing. “Even if I didn’t want to do what they suggested, like put her on a ventilator, they knew it was the right thing to do at the time.”
Braylee has since been discharged from the hospital. Brittain told KFOR she was much better but continued to take her medication.
https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma-girl-placed-on-ventilator-fighting-an-illness-after-testing-covid-19-positive/ Oklahoma girl is on a ventilator, battling illness after testing positive for COVID-19