Local

NC Proud Boys leader pleads guilty to January 6 conspiracy charges

blank

(The hill) – One of the leaders of the Proud Boys, who was charged with conspiracy in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol, pleaded guilty on Friday and agreed to work with federal prosecutors as they prepare , to tackle one of the biggest criminal cases resulting from last year’s rupture.

Karl Donohoea 34-year-old leader of the North Carolina chapter of the right-wing group, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to obstruct an official process and of assaulting, resisting or obstructing a police officer.

Donohoe was among a group of six leaders of the Proud Boys, including Enrique Tarriothe organization’s national leader, who was charged with conspiracy last month.

He is the first member of the group to plead guilty and agree to cooperate with the government.

The conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. US District Judge Timothy Kelly Donohoe said during a Friday hearing that federal sentencing guidelines calculations would recommend a sentence in the range of 70 to 87 months in prison.

Tarrio entered a first plea of ​​not guilty earlier this week.

Prosecutors allege the group organized and rallied Proud Boys members to come to DC to prevent or delay Congress from confirming the president Bidens Election victory 2020.

While Tarrio was not physically present at the Capitol on Jan. 6 after he was arrested days earlier for destroying a Black Lives Matter banner that had been hung on a DC church, prosecutors said he had a conspiracy led by the Proud Boys.

According to indictment documents, in the days between Tarrio’s arrest and January 6, Donohoe assumed an increasing role in coordinating with the leaders of the Proud Boys.

On Jan. 4, the day of Tarrio’s arrest, prosecutors said Donohoe started a new encrypted group chat with other Proud Boys leaders and said in a message, “Hey, got instructed and listen to me really good! There is no planning. I must be put into everything that is newly created. Everything is compromised and we can deal with gang charges.”

Kelly recently gave up on the court’s plan for the trial to begin on May 18 in the case, but has yet to set a new date.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/national-news/proud-boys-leader-pleads-guilty-to-jan-6-conspiracy-charge-agrees-to-cooperate/ NC Proud Boys leader pleads guilty to January 6 conspiracy charges

DUSTIN JONES

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button