A 6-year-old boy has died after reportedly consuming a glass of Monster Energy drink.
Francisco Cervantes was visiting his grandmother’s home in Matamoros, Mexico, when the April 16 incident happened.
The boy reportedly saw a glass filled with Monster Energy – an energy drink – on the table and downed it to quench his thirst.
He immediately began to feel unwell and was taken to the local Alfredo Pumarejo Hospital by his horrified relatives.
After admission, he was diagnosed with poisoning and later brain death.
He spent six days in the hospital in a coma as his mother Jessica initially refused to allow him to be disconnected from his artificial life support machine.
His devastated mother was later quoted as saying: “Thank you to everyone who came out to offer us their support. Unfortunately, my son couldn’t take it anymore.
“For now we will take care of the funeral expenses to give him his Christian burial.”
It was not reported if Francisco had any known medical conditions.
Various health experts and services, including the NHS, advise that young children should avoid consuming energy drinks, which are often high in caffeine and sugar.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18344870/mum-horror-six-boy-died-energy-drink/ Mum’s horror as six-year-old son dies after ‘drinking monster energy drink left in jar at grandmother’s house’