Business

Man gets drill stuck in his lung during dental work

This is not an exercise.

An Illinois man gave new meaning to the term “iron lung” after he accidentally sucked a one-inch dental drill bit through his airway and got stuck there for nearly a week.

“I didn’t even really feel it going down. All I felt was a cough,” Tom Jozsi, 60, said KFVS of the incident that occurred while the maintenance worker was filling a cavity. He reportedly inhaled the component after she broke off the tooth cavity instrument during the procedure.

Jozsi was subsequently transferred to Aurora Medical Center in Kenosha, Wisconsin, where CT scans showed the tool tip had migrated past the larynx and trachea and eventually lodged near the base of his right lung.

"I didn't even really feel it go down. All I felt was a cough" described Tom Jozsi.
“I didn’t even really feel it going down. All I felt was a cough,” described Tom Jozsi.
WISN 12 ABC
View of a drill.
View of a drill. . . Bit.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr
The drill after extraction.
The drill after extraction.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr

“It was really way down the lower right lobe of the lung,” said lung expert Abdul Alraiyes, who led the removal.

The doctor suspected the patient had inhaled just before swallowing, which is why the drill drilled so deep, KFVS reported.

Unfortunately, due to the drill head’s awkward position, medical experts feared they would have to cut out a piece of Jozsi’s lung to prevent the intruder from damaging surrounding tissues.

“What happens if he doesn’t find out?” he was angry. “And really, the answer was that part of my lungs had to be removed.”

Cat scans showed the tool tip had traveled far into his airway and lodged near the base of his right lung.
CT scans showed the tool tip had traveled far into his airway and lodged near the base of his right lung.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr
Doctors managed to extract the drill using a robotic ion catheter, which was designed for early cancer detection rather than foreign body removal.
Doctors managed to extract the drill using a robotic ion catheter, which was designed for early cancer detection rather than foreign body removal.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr
Doctors filmed the new procedure.
Doctors filmed the new procedure.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr

Fortunately, Alraiyes and the team were able to circumvent this finding by thinking outside the box of surgical tools. They decided to extract the drill with a robotic ion catheter, which was designed for early cancer detection rather than foreign body removal.

Accompanied Recordings of the new method, dubbed robotic bronchoscopy, shows the instrument navigating Jozsi’s labyrinthine airways like a miniature caver. The cybernetic surgeon was able to locate and retrieve the drill bit without harming the patient, according to the clip’s caption.

“I’ve never been so happy in my life,” enthused Jozsi, who carried the drill bit in his lungs for four days.

The Wisconsinite is reportedly keeping the set of teeth on a shelf at home to commemorate the harrowing ordeal.

This isn’t the first time someone has had a bur in their gills. Alraiyes revealed he was in contact with doctors in Ohio and Michigan who claimed they also saw patients who swallowed the tool.

Jozsi keeps the drill on a shelf to remind him of the breathtaking saga.
Jozsi keeps the drill on a shelf to remind him of the breathtaking ordeal.
AB robotic bronchoscopy. Alr

https://nypost.com/2022/04/19/man-gets-drill-bit-stuck-in-his-lung-during-dental-procedure/ Man gets drill stuck in his lung during dental work

DUSTIN JONES

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button