‘Loud Bang,’ then turns mid-light before helicopter crash January 11 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania – NBC10 Philadelphia

Crew members on board The helicopter crashed in the vicinity of Delaware County, Pennsylvania earlier this month tells about a difficult mid-flight experience before an emergency landing that includes many mid-roll rolls.

A nurse on board and a nurse caring for a child transported by a medical helicopter said in a new report released by the National Transportation Safety Board that there was a “loud bang”. about 10 minutes before the plane was scheduled to land at Children’s Hospital. of Philadelphia.

The NTSB report said both nurses and paramedics had left their seats to care for the patient when the explosion occurred and the noise was followed by some jarring helicopter movements. , the NTSB report said.

“The doctor said that the helicopter rolled upside down, perhaps several times, and that he and the nurse were ‘pinned to the ceiling’ and internal communication was lost,” the report said. “The helicopter has been leveled, the patient is secured, the crew members are safely in their seats and they are preparing for landing.”

A preliminary report was released recently on the January 11 crash and a full, formal investigative review will be published a few months from now. The NTSB usually takes 12 months or more to complete a full investigation into transportation incidents.

Incredibly, none of the four people on board the medical helicopter were seriously injured.

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt said at the scene on the day of the crash, “It’s an absolute miracle what you see behind me.”

NBC10 received a 911 call from a nurse on a medical helicopter that landed outside a Delaware County church. All four people on board, including a little girl, survived the crash. NBC10’s Deanna Durante has the details.

Officials said no trees or power lines were hit by the pilot, who was the only person injured in the crash. The newborn patient was eventually taken to Children’s Hospital after the collision.

The pilot volunteered to speak with the NTSB, but reports indicate that he has yet to do so because of his injuries.

“God was at church today watching these people,” Tina Hamilton, a witness, told NBC10.

In part, she was referring to the church where the helicopter crashed near a densely populated area on Drexel Hill in Delaware County. The crash site was located just outside Philadelphia, about a mile from Upper Darby High School.

Drexel Hill Unified Methodist Church at Burmont Road and Bloomfield Avenue suffered no damage in the collision, as were many homes across the street.

Rear pilot told NBC10 that he has “God is my copilot.”

Five days after the crash, police and firefighters and the medical team at Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia gave pilot Daniel Moore a round of applause as he exited the hospital door.

“I am a bit of a difficult person, as you can imagine. I just feel lucky. I had God co-pilot that day, and we took care of the crew and we landed in His front yard, which was great,” Moore said while tied to a stretcher before being loaded into an ambulance to take him home.

The helicopter is owned by Colorado-based Air Method Company, which provides medical air transportation services. The company operates in 47 states and has more than 400 helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft.

The helicopter was built in 2006 and was owned by Wells Fargo Bank until 2014 when Air Method Corp acquired it.

It typically flies two or three times a day between the Hagerstown regional airport in Maryland and the Lost Acres airport in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, according to data from FlightAware, which tracks aircraft flight logs.

On the day of the crash, the helicopter’s first flight of the day departed from Hagerstown Regional Airport in Maryland at 10:29 a.m. and arrived at Lost Acres Airport in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania at 10:37 a.m. It then departed Lost Acres Airport in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. at 12:06 p.m. Thirty-seven minutes into the flight, the plane began to descend but did not decelerate.

The NTSB report indicated that the helicopter had lost altitude more than once.

Around 12:43 p.m., the helicopter descended and leveled about 2,800 feet (mean sea level), then descended and leveled 1,500 feet (mean sea level), the report said. “At 12:53, the helicopter track depicts a series of excursions in direction and altitude. The graphs depict altitudes from 1,700 feet msl to 1,250 feet msl before the target disappeared.”

The helicopter was last certified in 2014, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Its current certification is set to expire in 2023.

An Air Method spokesman said in a statement that the helicopter was an EC-135 aircraft and was part of the LifeNet medevac program.

“The FAA and NTSB are made aware of this incident and investigators are registered to assess the situation. Our team will fully cooperate with their efforts to assess the cause of this unfortunate accident. this,” Air Method’s Doug Flanders said in a statement. “Privacy regarding those on board will be respected and we will not share any further information.” ‘Loud Bang,’ then turns mid-light before helicopter crash January 11 in Delaware County, Pennsylvania – NBC10 Philadelphia

Huynh Nguyen

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button