Sport

Grand Prix boss claims F1 won’t see similar visa drama with Novak Djokovic at Australian Open

blank

Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open visa issues dominated the news programming last week, but the Formula 1 boss says those scenes will not be replayed in his sport when the season new happenning.

Djokovic was deported last week, after having his visa canceled.

The problem arose after it was reported that the Serb, who had not been vaccinated against Covid-19, tested positive on December 16 and did not quarantine thereafter, instead deciding to join a Interview and photo shoot.

Registration to our World of Sport newsletter

My Newsletter cut through the noise

Grand Prix CEO Andrew Westacott has assured fans that a similar incident will not directly affect the upcoming Australian event, which is scheduled to take place in Melbourne on April 10.

“We have worked very closely with the Victorian government throughout 2021 and leading into 2022. And of course we have worked very, very closely with Formula 1,” said Westacott.

“The rules are very simple to enter the country and the rules are simple to operate in Formula 1 as well. To participate in this event you will be 100% vaccinated and there will be no exemptions for anyone. , from anyone.

“Formula 1 has been recognized around the world that they always need to follow the rules at the border for the jurisdictions in which they race. They have raced in 41 locations since Melbourne in 2020 and we will be welcoming them to the country. They know the rules and we’re very, very comfortable with that. “

He added: “I think it goes without saying that they will be 100 per cent vaccinated and compliant with the law. And that means when they get to Melbourne, they’ll be operating in a very, very safe mode. It is an underlined, defined position.

“Our arrangement was going well before the recent Australian Open. We have been working very closely with the federal government, state governments, Formula 1 and the FIA ​​for a year and a half on this issue. ”

The 2022 Formula One season will get underway in Bahrain in March, but remains shrouded in mystery. It is not yet known if seven-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton will be involved due to the scenes we saw at the end of last season where Max Verstappen dramatically beat him to the title.

The Dutchman and Hamilton were both equal on points advancing to the Abu Dhabi GP, and then controversy erupted when Nicholas Latifi was involved in an accident that caused a safety car to be deployed. When the track was deemed safe, race director Michael Masi allowed some cars to deploy on their own and others not.

This allowed Verstappen, who had the newer tyres, to overtake Hamilton and win his first world title.

https://www.nationalworld.com/sport/grand-prix-boss-claims-f1-wont-see-similar-visa-drama-to-novak-djokovic-at-australian-open-3537175 Grand Prix boss claims F1 won’t see similar visa drama with Novak Djokovic at Australian Open

Ashley

USTimeToday is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimetoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button